[JPL] Paul Motian died today

Tom Reney tr at wfcr.org
Tue Nov 22 16:51:12 EST 2011

Frank Kimbrough dropped me a note saying, "Paul did it his way, right up
to the end...We've lost a master musician/composer who never compromised
his art, and who brought up a couple of generations of musicians in his
bands...Of all the musicians I've ever known or worked with, I think I
admired him the most because...I never ever saw him give less than 100%,
or have a bad night.  He was something to aspire to..."

I saw Paul several times over the years with Bill Frisell and Joe Lovano
at the Vanguard; Anat Fort at the Rubin Museum; Konitz, Mehldau and
Haden at Birdland; Haden and Geri Allen at the Knitting Factory.  He
worked with kindred spirits, players with open, organic approaches to
songs, standards and originals.  What a presence.  Made me glad to be alive.

Tom

On 11/22/2011 3:53 PM, Ron J Pelletier wrote:
> Incredibly well said Ricky...Paul was definitely the genuine article, an
> inspiration to any other drummer who ever heard him play...his uniquely
> open, free, musical style...his contribution to the music, just amazing.
> Indeed, thank you, thank you Paul...

Tom Reney

"Jazz à la Mode"
Monday-Friday, 8 - 11 p.m.