[JPL] This week on The Jazz Session: Mike Baggetta and Amir ElSaffar

Jason Crane | The Jazz Session jason at thejazzsession.com
Wed Nov 23 23:17:46 EST 2011

You can see a snazzy PDF version of this newsletter at
http://thejazzsession.com/newsletter/111123_tjs_newsletter.pdf

...or read the text below:

Nov. 23, 2011

Hello friends!

Wherever you are, I hope you're having a lovely week.

New Poems:
"for Andrea and Ken" http://bit.ly/siR8MQ
"the king's clothes" http://bit.ly/sNcqrj
"Cale on the 6" http://bit.ly/sFLSdK
"Elwood P. Dowd" http://bit.ly/uIusRI

Special Membership Offer: The Jazz Session is member-supported, so if
you like what you hear, please join. The next two people who join at the
middle or top level (yearly or monthly) will receive guitarist Anthony
Wilson's new DVD/CD set Seasons. This set captures a unique live
performance by Wilson along with Steve Cardenas, Julian Lage and Chico
Pinheiro, performing on a quartet of custom guitars built by John
Monteleone. http://thejazzsession.com/join

Widget: If you add AAJ's The Jazz Session widget to your site, let me
know and I'll mention you in this newsletter. Thanks to
http://dclivemusic.com for adding it. Get the widget: http://bit.ly/o4LjvZ

Twitter: Earlier this year I was named by the LA Times as one of 25 arts
& culture people to follow on Twitter. Think they're nuts? Judge for
yourself: http://twitter.com/jasondcrane

Next Week: To be determined.

Peace, love and jazz,

Jason

*********************************
THIS WEEK ON THE JAZZ SESSION
*********************************

TJS #326: Mike Baggetta. Guitarist Mike Baggetta’s new CD is Source
Materials. In this interview, Baggetta talks about his compositional
process and how he writes for specific ensembles; his experiments with
prepared guitar in both solo and duet formats; and how he approaches
playing standards. SHOW AVAILABLE NOW.

TJS #327: Tim Hagans. Trumpeter Amir ElSaffar’s new CD is Inana (Pi
Recordings, 2011). In this interview, ElSaffar explains maqam music and
his decision to spend five years studying it in depth; how he plays
microtonal music on a standard Bb trumpet; and his particular
combination of traditional Arabic music with jazz. SHOW AVAILABLE 11/24/11.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/jasondcrane

RSS Feed: http://thejazzsession.com/feed/?category_name=podcast

iTunes: itpc://thejazzsession.com/?feed=rss2&category_name=podcast