[JPL] Continuum, A Journey Through Jazz: Thanksgiving Jazz Feast

Jazzevangelist scott at soulandjazz.com
Fri Nov 25 11:16:05 EST 2011

Soulandjazz.com Presents:
Continuum – A Journey Through Jazz
Episode 65: Thanksgiving Jazz Feast

Happy Thanksgiving! In an effort to provide you with a soundtrack which will help you prepare, clean, celebrate, cook, eat, or just chill & relax . . . here is a special episode of Continuum, A Journey Through Jazz focused on this special day – although, please feel free to listen it any time or any day regardless of whether you are celebrating or not!  So, come along with me right now as I travel through various jazz styles & food musings throughout the decades.

Here it is, hot and ready to be served: http://t.co/Du68lIRQ

Starting in the 1930’s we go “Flying Home” with Benny Goodman & then going over to Cab Calloway’s, because “Everybody Eats When They Come To His House” . . . moving on to the 1940’s where Nat King Cole brings some “Frim Fram Sauce” & Charlie Parker gets to work “Carvin’ The Bird” . . . traveling forward into the 1950’s where Dizzy Gillespie is so hungry he is crying out “Hey Pete! Let’s Eat More Meat” & Louis Armstrong is griping about the fact that he got “All The Meat and No Potatoes” . . . continuing into the 1960?s where Johnny Griffin provides some ?Low Gravy?, Jackie McLean brings the “Yams”, Lee Morgan bakes some “Cornbread”, and John Coltrane gives thanks with ?Dear Lord?. There is also some rather current ?Soul Food? from Cyrus Chestnut & Jon Gordon closes out with a reminder of why we?re doing all this feasting with “Thanksgiving”.

I would like to extend my gratitude to you for listening to my show. You are the reason why I create a podcast week after week, and the fact that you’re reading this & paying attention to my show is a constant motivation to keep it fresh, unique and raise the bar with each episode. So ? thank you.

I?d love to thank you personally ? so, if you are not connected with me on Facebook or Twitter, please do so by searching for the Jazz Evangelist . . . and you can also write to me any time by sending an email to Scott at SoulandJazz.com.

PLAYLIST: Continuum ? A Journey Through Jazz #65: "Thanksgiving Jazz Feast"

Artist ? Track ? Album ? Year

Benny Goodman - Flying Home	 - The Essential Benny Goodman - 1939
Cab Calloway - Everybody Eats When They Come To My House	 - The Living Legend - 1937
Louis Armstrong - All That Meat And No Potatoes - 	Satch Plays Fats - 1955
Nat King Cole - Frim Fram Sauce - Best of Nat King Cole Trio: Vocal Classics - 1945
Charlie Parker - Carvin’ The Bird - The Dial Masters: Original Choice Takes - 1947
Dizzy Gillespie - Hey Pete! Let’s Eat More Meat - The Complete RCA Victor Recordings - 1954
Johnny Griffin - Low Gravy - Studio Jazz Party - 1960
Jackie McLean - Yams - Vertigo - 1963
Lee Morgan - Cornbread - Cornbread - 1965
Cyrus Chestnut - Soul Food - Soul Food - 2001
John Coltrane - Dear Lord - Transition - 1965
Jon Gordon - Thanksgiving - Spark - 1995
Background Music: Vince Guaraldi - 	Charlie Brown Thanksgiving Theme - The Definitive Vince Guaraldi - 1973

If you would like a second helping - here is my episode from last Thanksgiving with a very different flavor - atmospheric mood music which fuses jazz with classical, folk, bluegrass, celtic, ragtime & Americana with acoustic, orchestral and electronic ambience.  Click here to download:  http://t.co/m1y7V0PJ

Still hungry?  How about third helpings?  Here is a follow-up repeat episode called Gratitude & Leftovers which includes a little bit of everything from soulful grooves to acapella New Jack Swing; from Traditional Jazz to Hard Bop: from Straight Ahead Jazz to soulful & jazzy vocals.  Click here to download:  http://t.co/YTXIi5tv

For more information on who we are and what we do:
http://www.soulandjazz.com/about/

Product may be submitted for airplay consideration to:
J. Scott Fugate
Soulandjazz.com / Jazz Evangelist Promotions
309 Oakland Drive
Gainesville, GA
30501