[JPL] Jaco Pastorius week on MOJA Radio

Russ Davis davispro at nyc.rr.com
Sun Nov 27 21:30:54 EST 2011

Jaco would have been 60 on December 1st and we're celebrating all week on MOJA Radio!

Russ Davis
Voice of America
MOJA Radio
www.mojaradio.com
davispro at nyc.rr.com

Russ Davis here, and this week we’ll start things with one, last celebration of the birthday of one of the all-time great MOJANS…the incredible trumpeter, composer, bandleader and multi-award winner RANDY BRECKER on Monday With The Masters! Then…we’ll begin a week of special features celebrating another major MOJA birthday, the 60th birthday of the late, great JACO PASTORIUS! You’ll hear JACO and an all-star cast at the 1982 Montreal Jazz Fest on Live @ MOJALand. You’ll hear Jaco’s greatest moments solo, with Weather Report & in collaboration with other greats during the Fusion Era on Fusion Friday, and spend the day with a number of his admirers, friends and associates as they remember Jaco on Saturday’s Words & Music. Plus you’ll also get our weekly features The All New Music Revue, The Attack of The Jazzy Jambands and This Is Acid Jazz.

Now you get all of this as a citizen of MOJA Nation for only 33 cents a day if you join as a monthly subscriber and about 27 cents a day if you join for a year. But, there’s a free side to MOJA Radio too and everyone’s invited to enjoy any of those free features found on the MOJA Radio homepage. Just look for the links to see interviews and live performance video on our MOJA Vision YouTube channel, read all about MOJA on our MOJA Radio Blog Site (I just posted a new one covering Steven Bernstein and a live performance by his Millennial Territory Orchestra of the new MTO Plays SLY album), and hear my weekly program JAZZ AMERICA on Voice of America as well as a 1 ½ hour sample of MOJA all by clicking on the correct link. Plus now we are offering a free download of the only live performance available to date by the brilliant RTF IV.  Just click on the logo and a live version of Senor Mouse recorded in Australia is yours! Spread the word!  Now, here’s what’s up this week…

MOJA Radio/WEEKLY FEATURES   (28 November-4 December 2011)

This Monday, November 28th, we’ll present another “Happy Birthday” edition of our special feature, MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on MOJA Radio. And this time we’ll focus on a multi-Grammy Award winner, bandleader, composer, fusion pioneer and one of the most popular trumpeters to ever pick up the instrument, the great, RANDY BRECKER on the day after his 66th birthday! Join Russ Davis as Randy covers every aspect of his amazing career from his early days in straight ahead jazz with Horace Silver and rock with Blood, Sweat & Tears to the formation of one of the super-groups of fusion, The Brecker Brothers.  You’ll hear about all the many facets of his solo career too. You’ll hear the stories and of course we’ll give you an hour of his incredible music. Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS twice every Monday, at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific and this week we place our MOJA spotlight on and wish a very happy birthday to the great RANDY BRECKER!

In the Mid-1980’s when fusion had faded and the softer side of things began to permeate the radio with the emergence of contemporary jazz, a fun, up and funky trend sprang out of the clubs and concert halls of England that brought new life to jazz.  If you’d like to hear some just listen to our special feature THIS IS ACID JAZZ four times each week on MOJA Radio! You can hear it twice every Tuesday at 9 AM and again at 9 PM EST and twice on Sunday’s at 9 AM & 9 PM EST as part of the Sunday Specials.  The phrase Acid Jazz came from the famous English DJ Gilles Peterson and each week you’ll hear not only the music of the English groups he discovered, but artists from the USA and around the world that joined in on a movement whose repercussions still reverberate today, and the words of Mr. Peterson himself! So if you can’t get enough of that funky stuff come and get it on THIS IS ACID JAZZ four times each week on MOJA Radio!

Back in the day when rock bands like The Grateful Dead and The Allman Brothers Band took their songs on long, improvised journeys and in essence incorporated jazz elements, the stage was set for what became a major part of what we call MOJA…jambands and especially those who set out primarily to make jazz.  If you’d like to hear some just listen five times each week to the newest feature on MOJA Radio, ATTACK OF THE JAZZY JAMBANDS! You can hear it at NOON East/9 AM West every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, plus twice on Sunday at NOON Eastern/9 AM Pacific and Midnight EAST/9 PM West as part of the Sunday Specials.  Following The Dead & The Allmans came Phish then grunge from Seattle.  At the same time American Acid Jazz artists like Karl Denson & Robert Walter started attracting the same fans. Those fans began to follow Galactic and other new artists from NOLA, Medeski, Martin & Wood, John Scofield and the great artists of the North West like Skerik, and San Francisco-area groove artists like Charlie Hunter & Will Bernard! It’s jazz mixed with prog rock and punk, funk and groove, heavy metal and alternative rock. The fans of this music don’t need lyrics, they need the groove and you’ll get it all if you join us for ATTACK OF THE JAZZY JAMBANDS five times each week on MOJA Radio!

It’s JACO PASTORIUS Week here on MOJA Radio and part of the celebration happens on LIVE @ MOJALand which you can hear four times each week here on MOJA Radio as we invite you to join us inside the world's only imaginary jazz club for rare, live performances by the biggest names in Modern Jazz.  Listen Wednesday morning at 9 AM/6 AM Pacific and again Wednesday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific.  You can hear it again twice on Sunday at 11 AM & 11 PM Eastern, as part of the Sunday Specials. This week, as we celebrate what would have been the 60th birthday of one of the all-time greats of MOJA on Thursday, December 1st, join us as we present JACO PASTORIUS: LIVE IN MONTREAL 1982!  Just 5 years before his untimely death at the age of 36, Jaco was 31 and in his prime when he brought some of the finest players around to the stage in Montreal to play some of his classics like “The Chicken,” “Donna Lee,” plus more. It’s Jaco with Randy Brecker on trumpet, Bob Mintzer on sax along with percussion by Peter Erskine, Don Alias & Othello Molineaux.  It’s JACO PASTORIUS: LIVE IN MONTREAL 1982 this week on LIVE @ MOJALand!

Join Russ Davis as he gives you an hour of the freshest MOJA on THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE every Thursday at 9 AM East/6 AM West with a replay at 9 PM East/6 PM West, and twice again on Sundays at 10 AM & 10 PM ET This week we’ll give you music from six albums including John Hollenbeck & his Claudia Quintet with a new one called “What Is The Beautiful?,”  followed by a great new Brazilian band called Sao Paulo Underground with “Tres Cabecas Loucuras.” You’ll hear some great horn work from a Connecticut band called Dead Cat Bounce and a new release titled “Chance Episodes” followed by a group that got its start in the New York University Jazz program called Chilcano and their debut release titled “Madera Corazon.” You’ll hear a fine Los Angeles based drummer named Dave Lewis with a great band and a host of guest players with his debut effort simply titled “Dave Lewis.” Then we’ll top it off with the latest from esteemed keyboardist Ramsey Lewis with his Electric Band revisiting some of his fusion classics on the recording titled “Taking Another Look.” So if you want to hear the newest MOJA, just listen to THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE four times each week! To hear the newest MOJA, just listen to THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE four times each week! Here’s the new music you’ll hear this week…

ARTIST…SONG…ALBUM (LABEL)

·       The Claudia Quintet…Peace Of Green…What Is The Beautiful? (Cuneiform)
·       Sao Paulo Underground…Carambola…Tres Cabecas Loucuras (Cuneiform)
·       Dead Cat Bounce…Township Jive Revisited…Chance Episodes (Cuneiform)
·       Chilcano…Coati…Madera Corazon (Saponegro Records)
·       Chilcano…El Diablo Mayor…Madera Corazon (Saponegro Records)
·       Ramsey Lewis…To Know Her…Taking Another Look (Mapenzi)
·       Ramsey Lewis…Tambura…Taking Another Look (Mapenzi)
·       Dave Lewis…SH-7…Dave Lewis (Creative Release)
·       Dave Lewis…D.I.S.…Dave Lewis (Creative Release)
·       Sao Paulo Underground…Just Lovin’…Tres Cabecas Loucuras (Cuneiform)
·       Sao Paulo Underground…Six Six Eight…Tres Cabecas Loucuras (Cuneiform)

Every Friday beginning at 7 AM until midnight Eastern time we’ll begin each hour with a classic piece of Jazz Fusion history with our special feature we call IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION.  This week we’ll continue our celebration of what would have been the 60th birthday of Jaco Pastorius on Thursday, December 1st, with a special feature we call “JACO PASTORIUS’ GREATEST FUSION HITS.” When Weather Report played Miami, Jaco approached Joe Zawinul and announced that he was the world’s greatest bass player. After his years with Weather Report followed by his solo work and collaborations with the likes of Herbie Hancock, Pat Metheny & Joni Mitchell he did all he could to prove that to be true.  It’s “JACO PASTORIUS’ GREATEST FUSION HITS,” this week on IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION.

This Saturday, December 3rd, you’re invited to a birthday party for another of MOJA’s most beloved and revered artists as we present our weekly feature WORDS & MUSIC on MOJA Radio this one titled “REMEMBERING JACO!” He’s one of those artists who needs only one name to identify and on Saturday we'll continue our week-long celebration of one of the most influential artists in modern jazz history, JACO PASTORIUS, by talking to those who knew, admired and worked with him.  Pat Metheny, Herbie Hancock, Stanley Clarke, Christian McBride, Jimmy Haslip. Marcus Miller, Victor Bailey, Richard Bona and Victor Wooten join us to give us their thoughts on Jaco, plus we’ll place a special emphasis on the comments of the late, great Joe Zawinul as he remembers Jaco and his impact on fusion supergroup Weather Report. Interview segments followed by music will begin each hour from Noon through Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM Pacific). Join us for “REMEMBERING JACO,” this week on WORDS & MUSIC.

Twice every Sunday listen for four of our most popular special features on what we call THE SUNDAY SPECIALS here on MOJA Radio. At 9 AM & 9 PM Eastern time you’ll hear an hour of fun and funky stuff on THIS IS ACID JAZZ followed at 10 AM and 10 PM Eastern time by our weekly look at the hottest new MOJA coming out on THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE. Then we’ll wrap it all up at 11 AM and 11 PM Eastern time with an hour inside the world’s only imaginary modern jazz club for rare, live performances on LIVE @ MOJALAND. Then we’ll wrap it all up at Noon and Midnight East/9 AM & 9 PM West with an encore airing of an hour of Jamband Jazz with ATTACK OF THE JAZZY JAMBANDS. So listen for THE SUNDAY SPECIALS twice every Sunday from 9 AM to 1 PM Eastern, with a replay Sunday night from 9 PM to 1 AMEastern/6-10 PM Pacific on MOJA Radio!

MOJA Radio/WEEKLY FEATURES   (5-11 December 2011)

This Monday, December 5th, we’ll present another “Happy Birthday” edition of our special feature, MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on MOJA Radio. This Monday we’ll feature an hour of the music of possibly the most famous bassist in modern jazz, JACO PASTORIUS.  Just four days after what would have been his 60th birthday we’ll give you a full hour of some of Jaco’s finest music…solo, with Weather Report and more. Plus you’ll hear some of Jaco’s own words as well those of some of his many musical friends and admirers to shed light on his wonderful career. Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS twice every Monday, at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific and this week we place our MOJA spotlight on and celebrate the 60th birthday of the great JACO PASTORIUS!