[JPL] Extended re-issue of classic 1986 Michael Brecker interview

Jazzevangelist scott at soulandjazz.com
Tue Nov 29 13:48:46 EST 2011

Soulandjazz.com Presents:
A special re-issue of "Talking Jazz with Ben Sidran - Michael Brecker"
Remixed & Produced by J. Scott Fugate

Here’s the story: back in the mid-80’s on National Public Radio (NPR) in America, a show ran called Sidran On Record. Presented by Ben Sidran, a musician, author, lecturer and journalist, the show featured interviews with the great and the good from the world of Jazz. Miles, Dizzy, Herbie and Grover were amongst 60 interviews that ran over the course of 5 years. Many of the legends featured are sadly no longer with us, but the recordings are, and several years back Ben released these as part of a wonderful, 24 CD box set called Talking Jazz – bringing to life a golden period of entertainment and understanding as we learn about the masters, their thoughts and their works. Whilst this may seem like an advert for this prestigious box set, it isn’t really. Promise. We’ve been in touch with Ben and asked for his permission to use these interviews and create our own shows based on his works. Ben gave it two thumbs up and we’re delighted to present to you Talking Jazz with Ben Sidran – our most ambitious project to date.

Episode Eight is once again produced by Scott Fugate and this time it’s over to the Jazz Evangelist to explain in a little more detail his feelings towards the show:

“It is a honor & privilege to be able to remix & reproduce this classic interview with one of my all-time favorite musicians, Michael Brecker. It was a surprisingly emotional and spiritual process for me as I sought just the right music to illustrate his words, capture his brilliance, showcase his unique way of hearing & creating melodies, the way he blended harmonies, the beauty & soul of his style which often takes my breath away, and his humility & gentle spirit which he lived and made audible through his horn. Upon completing & listening to this episode, I was rather surprised to find myself crying at the end. This is my homage to Michael, who left us far too soon – but whose music will continue to live and influence generations to come. R.I.P. I love you brother.”
J. Scott Fugate, “The Jazz Evangelist”.

If you fancy buying the essential box set, which includes the full sixty interviews, then here’s where you need to go: TalkingJazz.com

PLAYLIST:  Talking Jazz with Ben Sidran #8: Michael Brecker

Artist – Track – Album – Year

The Brecker Brothers - Some Skunk Funk (excerpt) - The Brecker Brothers - 1975
The Brecker Brothers	 - Twilight (background excerpt) - The Brecker Brothers - 1975
The Brecker Brothers	 - Sponge (excerpt) - The Brecker Brothers - 1975
The Brecker Brothers - Some Skunk Funk (excerpt) - The Brecker Brothers - 1975
The Brecker Brothers - Squids (excerpt) - Don’t Stop The Music - 1977
The Brecker Brothers Band - Grease Piece (excerpt) - Back To Back - 1976
The Brecker Brothers	 - Don’t Stop The Music (excerpt) - Don’t Stop The Music - 1977
The Brecker Brothers - Funky Sea, Funky Dew (live/excerpt) - Heavy Metal Be-Bop - 1978
Steps Ahead - Safari (excerpt) - Modern Times	- 1984
Steps Ahead - Oops (live/excerpt) - Live In Tokyo - 1986
Michael Brecker - My One and Only Love (excerpt) - Michael Brecker - 1987
Claus Ogerman & Michael Brecker - In The Presence & Absence of Each Other (Part 1/excerpt) - Cityscape - 1982
Michael Brecker - Naima (background excerpt) - Directions In Music: Live at Massey Hall - 2002
The Brecker Brothers	 - On The Backside (background excerpt) - Return of the Brecker Brothers - 1992
Michael Brecker - Naima (excerpt) - Directions In Music: Live at Massey Hall - 	2002
The Brecker Brothers - Scrunch (excerpt) - Out of the Loop - 1994
Steps Ahead - Magnetic Love (excerpt) - Magnetic - 1986
Steps Ahead - Sumo (live / excerpt) - Live In Tokyo - 1986
Michael Brecker - Ode To The Doo Da Day (excerpt) - Now You See It . . . (Now You Don’t) - 1990
Michael Brecker - Solo EWI Improvisation (during interview) - Talking Jazz with Ben Sidran -  	1986
Steps Ahead - Sumo (live/background excerpt) - Live In Tokyo - 1986
The Brecker Brothers - African Skies (excerpt) - Out of the Loop - 1994
The Brecker Brothers - Big Idea - Return of the Brecker Brothers - 1992