[JPL] Ingrid Pastorius has died

Dr. Jazz drjazz at drjazz.com
Wed Nov 30 00:38:07 EST 2011

Ingrid Pastorius, who was married to virtuoso electric bassist Jaco
Pastorius between 1979 and 1985, died on Monday after reportedly
suffering a stroke. She was 61.

A native of Indonesia, Ingrid also spend time in Holland and Puerto Rico
before moving to South Florida at age 20. She then worked as a flight
attendant for Eastern Airlines, and reportedly was spotted by Jaco
before they met on a flight between Fort Lauderdale and New York. Ingrid
and Jaco began a relationship in 1977 prior to his work on the Shadows
and Light tour with Joni Mitchell. They then married -- Jaco's second
marriage -- in July of 1979 in Guatemala, and bought a house in
Deerfield Beach with money he made on tour with Mitchell. Their
fraternal twin sons, Felix and Julius Pastorius, were born June 9, 1982.
A lengthy interview with Ingrid at JoniMitchell.com indicates how close
she was with her husband's work -- notably he was also a member of Joe
Zawinul's Weather Report beginning in the '70s.

She had this recollection of being by his side while he worked on
Mitchell's Mingus album: "We were staying at the Sunset Marquis and we
were going to the studio and the horns parts were decided in the studio
and then we went back to the hotel," she says. "I think he stayed up
until like five in the morning. He wasn't using any drugs or alcohol. I
have to mention that, too. (laughs) Great things did happen when he was
sober. The next morning we went back into the studio and the horn parts
were incredible."

Her favorite composition of her husband's was "Three Views of a Secret,"
according to an interview she gave to ZawinulFans.org: "Initially it
bore my name, but I felt uncomfortable about the idea at the time. I do
not regret making him change it, for I just simply love the name it is now."

http://blogs.browardpalmbeach.com/countygrind/2011/11/rip_ingrid_pastorius_jaco_pastorius_wife_1950_2011.php

--
Dr. Jazz
Dr. Jazz Operations