[JPL] Re: Sun Ra & Artie Shaw on Jeopardy

HighNote Records jazzdepo at ix.netcom.com
Thu Jan 5 13:06:10 EST 2012

I would hazard a guess that Sun Ra would be rather disappointed if he
learned he had entered the collective consciousness of casual listeners.
Personally, I never knew who Artie Shaw was married to, though I know he
walked down the aisle many times.  Perhaps they would have guessed correctly
if the 'answer' contained "Begin the Beguine" or "Gramercy Five."  Here's
hoping, at any rate.

I saw Sun Ra only once, late in his life.  I remember the saxophonists
playing their parts while spinning around on the floor like Curly Howard of
the Three Stooges but when it came time for Sun Ra to solo, he played "The
Darktown Strutter's Ball" amid the chaos.  I suppose he figured he no longer
had to try so hard to be avant garde.

Ray Osnato
HighNote Records