[JPL] Sun Ra Category on Jeopardy

Nou Dadoun nou.dadoun at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 00:33:32 EST 2012

Funny, I saw the Arkestra at the 1978 Ann Arbor festival - the Duke
Ellington tribute year - and after the start with June Tyson and the others
singing "We're Waiting for the Sun Rise", he actually rose up on a platform
in the centre of the stage playing his keyboards and the crowd went crazy!

Sun Ra was always pretty grounded in the tradition from his early work with
Fletcher Henderson and Joe Williams, I always thought that he got into the
(pre-fluxus) theatre and other worldly portions of his career because he
was so far ahead of everybody else and couldn't wait for them to catch up.
Truly one of a kind! ... N

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 9:20 PM, David Kunian <dkunian at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> THIS WEEK'S SPONSOR: The JazzWeek relaunch -- JazzWeek 2.0 -- crowdfunding
> project has launched. Visit http://www.indiegogo.com/**jazzweek<http://www.indiegogo.com/jazzweek>for more information. Become part of the solution.
>
> ---
>
> The set at the 1972 Ann Arbor Blues and Jazz Festival has been released on
> Total Energy Records.  I think it is out of print, but it might be
> available online or on the many Sun Ra fan sites.  My favorite is
> http://fromnowherehere.**blogspot.com/<http://fromnowherehere.blogspot.com/>
>

> On 1/5/2012 11:00 PM, Biz Bisard wrote:
>
>> THIS WEEK'S SPONSOR: The JazzWeek relaunch -- JazzWeek 2.0 --
>> crowdfunding project has launched. Visit http://www.indiegogo.com/**
>> jazzweek <http://www.indiegogo.com/jazzweek> for more information.
>> Become part of the solution.
>>
>> ---
>>
>> The category was "The Heavens" or something like that. Other "questions"
>> along the way were "What is Mars?" perhaps something like "What is
>> Mercury?" and they saved the best for last: "Who was Sun Ra?"  My reaction
>> when NO one rang in was "Come ON!!!"  Oh well....at least Sun Ra was the
>> top dollar clue.....and I had "Space Is the Place" in my head for a while
>> afterward. I also reminisced about seeing him with the Arkestra in '72 at
>> the Ann Arbor Blues & Jazz Festival.
>> -Biz @ WNMC
>>

>> --

====