[JPL] Sun Ra Category on Jeopardy

Tom Reney tr at wfcr.org
Fri Jan 6 00:56:26 EST 2012

My late friend Marion Brown worked with Ra and put it like this: "You
played your instrument, and he played you."

Before I grew suspicious of the self-styled legend, I was blown away by
the music, most memorably at Symphony Space in the late 70's when the
audience formed a second line and trailed the Arkestra down Broadway
early in the morning.  (Opening act on that bill was a Cecil Taylor
Unit.)  Then there was a rainy Monday night when his Bushnell Park
concert in Hartford was relocated to the West Indian Social Club and the
place rocked-- the show was almost all Fletcher and Duke!  And on the
day I was released from a week-long hospitalization for something fairly
serious, I still had to see Ra at John Hancock Hall in Boston; at the
time, he was good for what ailed me.  It was the Friday night of the
week in October '78 that began with the Red Sox dropping the playoff
game to Bucky Dent's Yankees.  I never understood the record-collecting
cult, and even less the post-Ra Arkestra.  But John Gilmore and Michael
Ray and Pat Patrick and June Tyson!

Tom

Tom Reney

Jazz à la Mode