[JPL] Reney blog: Worcester's Jazz History Database - history of Sir Morgan's Cove

Tom Reney tr at wfcr.org
Fri Jan 6 11:00:32 EST 2012

Louis,

Keep this Worcester buzz going!  Worcester's streets were really mean in
my youth, even my tree-lined neighborhood of New England colonials, but
notwithstanding your nephew's
tough scrape, it could be a soulful place with chitlin' circuit clubs
like the Kitty Kat and Hottentotte Lounge featuring soul bands every
weekend and jazz jams on Thursdays and Sundays.  Sir Morgan's wasn't
much of a jazz room, but it was probably the last small room the Stones
ever played, and in 1971 Muddy Waters spent a week there with his great
band featuring Mojo Buford, Sammy Lawhorn, Pee Wee Madison, Pinetop
Perkins, Fuzz Jones and Willie Smith.  Damn, that was 41 years ago, but
unforgettable still.

Tom

--
Tom Reney