[JPL] Top spins on WMUA in 2011

Ken Irwin - WMUA Jazz Music Dir. ken-irwin at comcast.net
Fri Jan 6 20:48:54 EST 2012

Folks:

I hope that you all survived the holidays, and that you have a healthy and happy 2012. Things always get a bit crazy this time of year, but we seem to have weathered the storm. I would like to thank all of you who have supported WMUA throughout the year with great service, information, communication, and generosity, especially during our fund-drive. It has been a pleasure to work with you all, and it has been fantastic sharing this great music with our WMUA listeners.

I have crunched the numbers and once again have for you a list of the CD's that received the most airplay at WMUA in 2011. Not to be taken for a best of, or a list of favorites, as that would be quite different depending on who is making selections. If you are interested in that info, just give me a call or an e-mail.

Peace,
Ken

WMUA’s top 50 for 2011

(selections based on airplay through the year, some carried over from late 2010, and some of these will carry over in early 2012 as well.)

1. Donald Harrison - This is Jazz - Half-Note

2. Karrin Allyson – ‘Round Midnight – Concord Jazz

3. Roswell Rudd -The Incredible Honk - Sunnyside

4. Joe Lovano - Bird Songs - Blue Note

5. Charlie Apicella & Iron City - The Business - ironcityjazz.com

6. Adam Rudolph's Moving Pictures - Both/And - Meta Records

7. Benny Green - Source – Jazz Legacy

8. Ben Allison – Action Refraction – Palmetto

9. Steve Coleman & Five Elements-The Mancy of Sound - Pi Recordings

10. James Farm – James Farm – Nonesuch

11. Nicole Mitchell - Awakening - Delmark

12. Eric Reed - The Dancing Monk – Savant

13. Jeremy Pelt - The Talented Mr. Pelt - High Note

14. Terri Lynn Carrington - The Mosaic Project - Concord

15. William Parker - Uncle Joe's Spirit House Centering Records

16. Wadada Leo Smith – Heart’s Reflection – Cuneiform

17. Carlo De Rosa - Brain Dance - Cuneiform

18. Joel Harrison - The Music of Paul Motian – Sunnyside

19. Avery Sharpe – Running Man – JKNM

20. 3 Cohens - Family - Anzic

21. Chick Corea & Stephan Bollani - Orvieto – ECM

22. Mike Bagetta Quartet - Source Material - Fresh Sound/New Talent

23. Orrin Evans - Captain Black Big Band - Positone

24. Vijay Iyer - Tirtha - ACT

25. Adam Kolker – Reflections – Sunnyside

26. Jeff Lederer - Sunwatcher - Jazzheads

27. Terell Stafford - This Side of Strayhorn - MaxJazz

28. Rez Abbasi -Suno Suno - Enja

29. Gretchen Parlato - The Lost And Found - Obliqsound

30. Enrico Rava Quintet - Tribe - ECM

31. Jen Shyu & Mark Dresser - Synastry - Pi

32. Cuong Vu - Leaps of Faith – Origin

33. Harrison Bankhead Sextet - Morning Sun / Harvest Moon - Engine Recordings

34. Brad Mehldau - Live in Marciac - Nonesuch

35. Pat Martino - Undeniable - HighNote

36. Jan Ira Bloom - Wingwalker – Outline

37. Dave Douglas - United Front: Brass Ecstacy at Newport - Greenleaf

38. Charles Lloyd - Mirror - ECM

39. Branford Marsalis & Joey Calderazzo - Songs Of Mirth And Melancholy – Marsalis

40. Christian McBride - Conversations With Christian - Mack Ave.

41. Matthew Shipp – Art Of The Improviser – Thirsty Ear

42. Darius Jones Trio - Big Gurl - Aum Fidelity

43. Konitz, Mehldau, Haden, Motian - Live At Birdland - ECM

44. Nguyen Le - Songs of Freedom - Act

45. Bill McHenry - Ghosts of The Sun - Sunnyside

46. David Murray Cuban Ensemble - Plays Nat King Cole en Espanol – Motema

47. Tyshawn Sorey - Oblique-1 - Pi Recordings

48. Miguel Zenon - Alma Adentro - Marsalis Music

49. Rudresh Mahanthappa - Samdhi – ACT

50. (tie)Ambrose Akinmusire - When the Heart Emerges Glistening - Blue Note

(tie) Giacomo Gates - The Revolution Will Be Jazz - Savant

Ken Irwin
Jazz Music Director and Host of "Java Jazz"
WMUA - FM
University of Massachusetts at Amherst
105 Lincoln Campus Center
Amherst, MA 01003