[JPL] Congrats Monty Alexander-2011 King os Spins

Arturo Gomez arturo at kuvo.org
Tue Jan 10 13:30:09 EST 2012

When you combine the spins of Monty Alexander's Uplift and Harlem-Kingston Express albums which came in at the numbers 5 and 10, respectively,  Monty easily outdistances number one Kurt Elling's The Gate spins for the most played artist of 2011 on the Jazz week/Media Guide chart. Well deserved IMO. Kudos to Michael Carlson and Neil Sapper who promoted Monty's recordings for Jazz Legacy Productions and Motéma Music, 2 of my favorite labels.

Here at KUVO/KVJZ we are happy to have Denver and Colorado artists and label well represented,  we have 2 indy labels, Capri Records and Jazzed Media, each with 2 entries in addition to 3 other recordings that feature a Metro Denver based musician, although René Marie has relocated to Virginia since her "Voice..." CD has been released.

Capri Records:  Ken Peplowski and Atsuko Hashimoto
Jazz Media: H2 Big Band and Judy Wexler
Denver resident Dianne Reeves appears on the Disney Jazz album and Terri Lynne Carrington's Mosaic Project.

Arturo Gómez
Music Director
The Oasis In The City, The Front Range and the High Country!
jazz89KUVO 89.3FM DENVER, 89.7FM BRECKENRIDGE, KVJZ 88.5FM VAIL