[JPL] Don Byron

Nou Dadoun nou.dadoun at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 13:52:11 EST 2012

That reminds me of an interesting question, did Don Byron ever record he
Henry Mancini/Sly Stone tribute?  I know he did some live concerts of the
project - I was hoping he'd play some when he came to Vancouver with the
Jr. Walker project but he stuck pretty closely to the Boomerang.  I
remembered it recently when I was featuring some of the Steve Bernstein MTO
takes on Sly (which are also tremendous) and wondered if that was ever
officially documented (the live recordings I heard were terrific) ... N

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 5:49 AM, Eric Gruner <eric at jazz901.org> wrote:

> Don Byron has signed with Savoy Jazz and is gearing up for the release
> of Love, Peace and Soul, the 12-track debut album by his New Gospel
> Quintet. With jazz as his springboard, the virtuosic clarinetist and
> saxophonist has turned his ear to gospel-music icons Thomas A. Dorsey
> and Sister Rosetta Tharpe.
> Playing alongside Byron are DK Dyson (vocals), Xavier Davis (piano,
> backing vocals), Brad Jones (bass, backing vocals), Pheeroan Aklaff
> (drums) and guests Brandon Ross and Vernon Reid (guitars), Dean Bowman
> (vocals), Ralph Alessi (trumpet) and JD Parran (baritone saxophone).
> Recorded at Harlem’s Stadium Red Studio, the album was produced by
> Hans Wendl and engineered by Tom Lazarus, a team Byron has relied on
> for many of his recordings.
>
> Full Article here:
>
> http://www.jazziz.com/news/2012/01/09/don-byron-focuses-on-gospel-greats/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+JazzizMagazine+%28Jazziz+Magazine%29
>
> --