[JPL] Christian Scott & playing jazz

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 11 11:40:28 EST 2012

Russ, I believe the interview is in the recent or the previous JazzTimes.

Just feel that if an artist is so bent on distancing their music from jazz...when it's marketed as such...why should "jazz" radio be expected to embrace it? That's my point. I would rather play artists that are embracing this music and respect it and are grateful they have the gift to play the music in the first place. If we keep saying that's okay then jazz will definitely become a bad word. When an artist whose career has been structure on jazz...now shy's away from identifying their music as jazz... that tells me there's some unfavorable issue they have with the label.

Tom...speaking of Nicholas...he said jazz is "dead" ...and a lot more but that speaks enough for itself from his perspective. Christian didn't go that far but it's becoming more prevalent with many artists.

Jae Sinnett