[JPL] Christian Scott & playing jazz

Nou Dadoun nou.dadoun at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 13:23:37 EST 2012

I've wondering if this is an implicit  backlash against the Ken
Burns/Wynton Marsalis view of jazz as exalting the history over valuing the
current practitioners and innovators - Scott and Payton are saying that
they're not doing jazz because they've been convinced that jazz has "these
boundaries" and they're operating outside those boundaries.  It goes back
to the difficulty of defining what the boundaries of jazz are - they seem
to be taking a very narrow definition (incorrectly in my mind) ... N

====
Nou Dadoun