[JPL] Christian Scott & playing jazz

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 11 15:18:56 EST 2012

Paul, yes an old problem but it's never reached solutions so considering...oddly these problems remain new. In fact they've gotten worse in my view. Frustrating really. I recorded my first record over 25 years ago...with John Hicks, Frank Foster, Wallace Roney and company. I couldn't tell you how proud I was to be playing jazz. I don't feel any differently today. I play other styles of music as some here know but when I'm playing jazz there is an unrelenting feeling of exhilaration and as much as I enjoy playing different music none bring me that level of creative satisfaction.

 I've always wondered why other genres of music don't seem to have the layers of separation issues as jazz appears to. Much of this conversation has been about folks wanting to abandon the jazz mantra. Rockers don't do this in droves. EWF will tell you they're playing soul in a heart beat. They don't run from the labeling like many in jazz seem to be doing. The only reason I can think of why this happens is from a marketing standpoint. If it's rock radio...they tell you it's rock radio loudly. We should be proud to say we play jazz.

Bobby...a bit of devil's advocate here...and just to make sure I understand your point...are you saying we should abandon the "jazz" format? Or keep it jazz and expand the boundries of what can musically fall under the jazz umbrella? If your position is the first wouldn't that be the start of wiping out the genre all together?

Jae Sinnett