[JPL] Christian Scott & playing jazz

s8nochaser at aol.com s8nochaser at aol.com
Wed Jan 11 15:21:33 EST 2012

I don't think anyone is distancing from music they play & create in any significant way, other than stepping aside from certain naming & labeling of same as some sort of statement; a cycle that has repeated itself over many years as has been previously commented on.

This reminds me some, of the experience I had in college around 1970...
Max Roach was booked to do a master class/lecture/ and performance.
Being excited by the opportunity, I made my way across campus to get held up at the top of the lecture hall, by some threatening dudes who were telling me this was only for Black people, followed by some political rhetoric of the times, yadda yadda etc.

I turned our attention to the lectern, and asked if anyone could name all the people gathered there and their credentials, which I did and they could not, and that my white teacher at the music department contacted Mr. Roach and made the arrangements for this appearance. Issue resolved.....I was there for the music and for respect for a great artist and wasn't leaving.

As for presenting these musicians, because of ever growing diversity and expansion, I've more and more over the years called what I'm playing for the audience "music that's referred to as jazz."

I'd like to think that if someone is making music that one likes and would consider playing and programming for their audience, that considering building in some new bias against it based upon differences in a  few words is pretty silly to me.

Mike Schwartz/KSJS