[JPL] throwing down the gauntlet to Christian Scott & others

onthebeach at aol.com onthebeach at aol.com
Wed Jan 11 15:36:27 EST 2012

im with jae & jeff on this one.  of course this issue has dogged the jazz community forever:
 the swingsters didnt accept the beboppers didnt except the third streamers didnt accept the fusion cats didnt....

this has left us as a community unable to leverage its strength via its numbers.  given the modest size of these
collective numbers, we have remained stuck and small.  its truly unfortunate the younger players dont see themselves as
part of the continuum that is this living, breathing EVER EVOLVING art form.  and im a fan of christian's.

and i have some news for him:  DUDE! you are a jazz musician and youre doing your part by stretching and adding to the art
form, like so many brave souls before you!  what happened?  werent you PROUD to call yourself a jazz musician a few years ago?  jazz is still hip dont you know?   is it just a coincidence you have a bent horn that looks an awful like a tribute to Diz?!

everyone on this list has had the interaction with the public ala "Is that jazz, i didnt know that was jazz " experience.
given the broad spectrum of music that falls under our beloved banner, there has always been confusion among the public.
we can have artists adding to the confusion (although thats always happened too).

this thread demonstrates the critical need NOW that ALL of us reach out to the disaffected and confused jazz musicians and make this point:  WE ALL NEED TO STICK TOGETHER! be proud of this great tradition, irrespective of where your particular tastes and favorites lay!	it should go without saying, despite the enormous debt owed to the African American artists who gave birth to and paved the way for this artform to grow,  there can be no place for racism in our community.

i have preached this for 40 years.  and i will continue until my last breath.  we cant lose these young musicians to the misguided belief that they are not part of the tradition--and those who stretch and challenge it-are in my opinion-among the most vital part of it.
perhaps radio can be proactive here, when any of these artists come through town seeking support, challenge their notion about identity.  personally ive always advocated for more eclectic radio programming that  encompasses more of the beautiful patch work tapestry we call jazz.

any suggestions or strategies we can employ to try and sway these younger artists could reap big benefits down the line. and id like to suggest this topic be considered for a panel at the next JazzWeek summit.

ricky schultz
jazzconsultant.com