[JPL] This week on The Jazz Session: Jack DeJonette & Deric Dickens!

Jason Crane | The Jazz Session jason at thejazzsession.com
Thu Jan 12 14:06:05 EST 2012

You can see a snazzy PDF version of this newsletter at http://bit.ly/ygabGH

...or read the text below:

Jan. 12, 2012

Hello friends!

Please Come To My New Poetry Series In Brooklyn: I'm running a poetry
series (open mic + featured poet) on the fourth Thursday of every month
at the Green Fig Cafe on 36th St between 4th and 5th Ave in Brooklyn. It
starts at 7. No fee but we'll pass the hat to pay the featured poet.
Bring a poem and come on by! First one is January 26th. I'll be the
feature, because it turns out it's tough to get folks in January.

My Talk At The JazzTimes Conference: Last week I gave a 10-minute talk
on podcasting and "telling your story" at the JazzTimes DIY Crash
Course. The full audio and partial video are available here:
http://bit.ly/zRkcv8

Special Membership Offer: The Jazz Session is member-supported, so if
you like what you hear, please join. The next two people who join at the
middle or top level (yearly or monthly) will receive guitarist Anthony
Wilson's new DVD/CD set Seasons. This set captures a unique live
performance by Wilson along with Steve Cardenas, Julian Lage and Chico
Pinheiro, performing on a quartet of custom guitars built by John
Monteleone. http://thejazzsession.com/join

Peace, love and jazz,

Jason

*********************************
THIS WEEK ON THE JAZZ SESSION
*********************************

TJS #336: Jack DeJohnette. Jack DeJohnette’s new album is Sound  Travels
(Golden Beams/eOne, 2012). In this interview, DeJohnette talks about the
next phase of his storied career; his induction as a 2012 NEA Jazz
Master; and the multiple projects he’s taking to the Newport Jazz
Festival this summer. LISTEN: http://bit.ly/xAsTEH

TJS #337: Deric Dickens. Drummer Deric Dickens’ debut CD is Speed Date,
a series of duets with Matt Wilson, Ben Cohen, Jon Crowley, Kirk
Knuffke, Jeff Lederer and Jeremy Udden. In this interview, Dickens talks
about the DIY philosophy underlying the album; the sound of the drums
(including a demonstration on the ride cymbal); and why he left a
comfortable position as a band director to pursue a life as a
professional jazz musician.  LISTEN: http://bit.ly/zJQ5eG

Twitter: http://twitter.com/jasondcrane

RSS Feed: http://thejazzsession.com/feed/?category_name=podcast

iTunes: itpc://thejazzsession.com/?feed=rss2&category_name=podcast