[JPL] Re: jazz/not jazz, etc.

Mark Rini mark at groovmarketing.com
Thu Jan 12 14:33:51 EST 2012

I'd suggest following what Nick has been saying a bit closer. Nick never
said that White people have no validity or did not contribute to this
music. Here is a direct quote from Nick..

"First, I think we should acknowledge its  origin: Black. But it’s more
than that. Secondly, it’s also American. Though it is a Black invention,
without Whites , Latinos , Native Americans, Jews or any of the cultures
that make America what it is, it would not be possible. And of course
lastly, it’s music.

To that I say, I am Nicholas Payton and I play Black American Music.

Black American Music was created by Blacks, but it belongs to everyone."

Nick has also  posted many times about his appreciation and admiration for
Stan Getz and Chet Baker...but that ultimately what they are playing is
Black Music.

Mark