[JPL] About BAM, from Bobby Sanabria

Lois Gilbert jazz at jazzcorner.com
Fri Jan 13 01:13:36 EST 2012

NYBS formerly known as Nuyorican Bobby Sanabria and I had a long
conversation about this topic before he posted his response. Bobby S is
right on point about it not being the word Jazz, but how the container of
Jazz is marketed. He neglected to mention the tv series with Jools Holland
and David Sanborn where they totally mixed the genres of music.   Here's a
perfect example of how to garner new audiences to jazz appreciation which
is really music appreciation
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/10/arts/music/preservation-hall-jazz-band-at-carnegie-hall-review.html

The fact is people who choose to play jazz CHOOSE to play jazz because it
is their heart, soul and being. You all chose to play this music as well
because of your passion and dedication. To empower Nicholas Payton and his
BAM movement I think is a waste of time and energy and could be better
served by moving the music forward

Lois Gilbert
JAZZcorner.com