[JPL] My take on BAM

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 13 11:56:47 EST 2012

Some may view this as silly or provocative. I'm not meaning to be either but I'm trying to grasp the logical purpose in "BAM's" labeling quest. Philosophically and intellectually I understand Payton's historical point of reference. It's not important if I agree or not. No matter though what you believe with his proclamation the reality is it's a divisive issue and I don't see how much positive can come out of it as related to what the world recognizes as "jazz." Could we honestly expect blacks running to embrace "WAM" (White American Music)...if it existed? Just a point. I'm not totally sure what the deep objective here is with this. Black music for black people? Black music for all people? If it's the later...do you care if whites are offended with the label? Folks should be because as it stands now over 85% of support for this music in the USA comes from white America. Maybe that's the point...don't call it jazz and pray for better crossover
 success. Hmmmm...beats me.

Jae Sinnett