[JPL] 2013 NEA JAZZ MASTER possibilities ..

Larry Thomas lrt0393 at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 13 12:34:50 EST 2012

Albert "Tootie" Heath is way past due.  After all, both of his brothers, Jimmy and Percy, have gotten the honor.  Tootie has performed and recorded with jazz giants.  My vote is for Tootie, one of the smoothest. effortless-looking percussionist on the music scene.  Years ago, when I asked him how he did it?  He replied:  "Oh, this.  It aint much.  Just pyrotechnics.  It's all in the wrist."  Viva the Carolina Jazz Connection and viva Al "Tootie" Heath!"