[JPL] Jazz Odyssey Playlist, KZYX - January 16, 2012

Jerry Karp jerry at rocketwords.com
Mon Jan 16 19:49:07 EST 2012

Greetings! Happy Martin Luther King, Jr. Day!. Here's my Jazz Odyssey MLK
Day playlist. All the best, Jerry
*
*THE JAZZ ODYSSEY - Monday, January 16, 2012
KZYX - Mendocino County Public Radio www.kzyx.org
Jerry Karp - jerry at rocketwords.com*
*

*The Dirty Dozen Brass Band* - “When I'm Walking (Let Me Walk)” from *The
New Orleans Album* on *columbia*
*Harry Belafonte* - “God Bless the Child” from *Belafonte Sings the Blues*on
*RCA*
*Odetta* - “If I Had Wings” from *Sometimes I Feel Like Cryin'* on *RCA*
*Harry Belafonte* - “Cotton Fields” from *Belfonte Sings the Blues* on *RCA*
*Charles Mingus* - “Prayer for Passive Resistance” from *Mingus At Antibes*on
*Rhino Atlantic**
Fred Houn & the Afro-Asian Music Ensemble* - “We Just Want to Be Free” from
*We Refuse to Be Used and Abused* on *Soul Note**
Marcus Shelby Orchestra* - “Emmett Till (Bobo)” from *Soul of the Movement*on
*Porto Franco Records*

*Marcus Shelby Orchestra* - “Black Cab” from *Soul of the Movement* on *Porto
Franco Records**
Nina Simone* - “Mississippi Goddam” from *Let It Be Me* on *Just a Memory**
Carmen McRae* - “Strange Fruit” from *Carmen McRae Sings Lover Man and
Other Billie Holiday Classics* on *Columbia/Legacy**
Miriam Makeba* - “A Piece of Ground” from *Miriam Makeba In Concert!*
on *Rhino/Warner
Bros.*

*Sonny Rollins* - “Freedom Suite” from *Shadow Waltz* on *Jazzland*

*Lightnin' Hopkins* - “Cotton” from *Lightnin' Strikes* on *Tradition
Everest**
Lightnin' Hopkins* - “Black Cadillac” from *Walkin' This Road by Myself* on
*Ace**
Lightnin' Hopkins* - “I Work Down on the Chain Gang” from *Hootin' the Blues
* on *Prestige*

*Marcus Shelby Orchestra* - “We're a Winner” from *Soul of the Movement* on
*Porto Franco Records*

--
Jerry Karp,
Village Books