[JPL] BAM

HighNote Records jazzdepo at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jan 17 11:00:50 EST 2012

I would not presume to comment on Mr. Payton's obviously deeply-felt
thoughts on jazz but when Mr. Thomas states with certainty that 'jazz'
"means 'jack-ass'" he is quite wrong.

There has been much speculation on the origin of the word jazz and while I
don't claim to know all the latest scholarly tomes on the subject I have
never seen a contraction of jack-ass put forward as a possibility.

Buddy Bolden's first name was Charles and some claim that it was derived
from "Chas."

Others claim it comes from the word "jasmine" which was the scent most
popular with the working girls of Storyville.  The phrase, "I'm going to get
me some jas tonight," used jas as a euphemism for sex and the word, like
most slang terms, was broadened to include any number of things.

Some scholars believe the word goes back to African or Arabic roots while
other cite the French word "jaser" which means "to chatter."

Other legends abound - vaudevillian Joe Frisco is said to to have coined the
phrase while the proprietor of Schiller's in Chicago gets the credit in one
story and there must be dozens of others.  Nick LaRocca claimed that "Jass"
became "Jazz" when they started advertising it on posters and neighborhood
kids would wipe out the 'J'.

The true origins of the word have no doubt been lost to the mists of time
and we shall never know where it came from.  If Mr. Thomas has a source for
"jack-ass" I would very much like to see it.  My nay-saying is for the sake
of accuracy, not to be confrontational.  In any event, some of the
possibilities I HAVE seen are no better, and some are worse, than 'jack-ass'
to be sure.

As for denying its dignity - I am sure there were many in those early days
who wished to do so - this ruinous devil's music which would surely lead one
down the path to perdition was to be avoided at all cost!  But for others it
associating the music with the way of the flesh and wild physical &
emotional abandon only made it as desirable as all forbidden fruit and, most
important to some, marketable.

American Classical Music?  hmmm....I wonder what Aaron Copland would say?
:-)

Ray Osnato
HighNote Records