[JPL] Continuum, A Journey Through Jazz 71: Best of 2011, Part 3

Jazzevangelist scott at soulandjazz.com
Wed Jan 18 12:39:18 EST 2012

Soulandjazz.com Presents:
Continuum – A Journey Through Jazz
Episode 71: "Best of 2011, Part 3"

Greetings & Salutations! This is Scott Fugate the “Jazz Evangelist” bringing you another edition of Continuum a Journey Through Jazz – and on this leg of the journey I am continuing with the best music of 2011 according to . . . well . . . me, actually. I was hoping to hear from more people telling me what THEIR picks were for the best of 2011 – but instead, all I received were letters confirming the artist & songs already selected in the previous two episodes.

So, here it is - a little over two hours of some of my favorites from 2011:  http://tinyurl.com/7o4z7ae

In case you missed it - here is Part Two, chosen by listeners:  http://tinyurl.com/7475keb . . . . and, also Part One, chosen by listeners & created as a New Year's Eve Jam: http://tinyurl.com/7ugnnxl

I always hesitate to state my personal preferences because I don’t want to pick sides. There always seems to be some kind of battle about the definition & substance of “jazz”, but the thing I love the most about it, is this it is pretty expansive. It isn’t just a style or era – but rather a continuum of styles that have been spawned from the same source and evolved to change music throughout the world. So, to limit jazz to just one style, structure, culture or era tends to destroy the essence of what it’s all about. Thus, I don’t like to make stylistic preferences – I prefer to share the full pallet.

However, for the purposes of this particular episode, I picked some stuff I like . . . artists that had not yet been included in the previous two episodes. I also looked for songs that stayed in my ipod the longest over the past year . . . and what I discovered was that I seemed to really like Intuit, Sean Khan, Tim Sars, Berardi Jazz Connection, Quasimode, Leonardo Cesari Jazz Combo, Kyle Eastwood, Dado Moroni, Irvin Mayfield, Hristo Vitchev Quintet, Ben Williams, Jesse Fischer & Soul Cycle, Farnell Newton, Patrick Lamb, Josh Kyle, Rene Marie, Andrea Wood, Sasha Masakowski & Musical Playground, Mad Romance, Melvin Jones, Tempest Little Big Band, Ernest EC3 Coleman, & Gordon Goodwin’s Big Phat Band – and when combined with all the artists picked thus far, I think we have a pretty good composite of who the best artists of 2011 were.

Of course, I could be wrong, and I have the greatest respect for your opinion. So, let me know what it is by writing to Scott at SoulandJazz.com.  You can also find me via Facebook or Twitter . . . just look for the Jazz Evangelist.

Agape ya’ll,
J. Scott Fugate, ‘The Jazz Evangelist’

PLAYLIST:  Continuum – A Journey Through Jazz #71: "Best of 2011 Part 3"

Artist – Track – Album – Year

Intuit - Im Wilden Kurdistan - Voyage No. 2 - 2011
Sean Khan - Fluxman - Slow Burner - 2011
Tim Sars - On Cue - Single - 2011
Berardi Jazz Connection - Indecision - Anyway - 2011
Quasimode - Whisky’s High - Magic Ensemble - 2011
Leonardo Cesari Jazz Combo - Bossa Trainer - Chasing The Beat - 2011
Kyle Eastwood - Andalucia - Songs From The Chateau - 2011
Dado Moroni - 	Ghanian Village - Live In Beverly Hills - 2011
Irvin Mayfield - James Booker - A Love Letter To New Orleans - 2011
Hristo Vitchev Quintet - The Acropolis - The Perperikon Suite - 2011
Ben Williams - Mr. Dynamite - State of Art - 2011
Jesse Fischer & Soul Cycle (feat. Sean Jones) - K.C. Bounce - Homebrew - 2011
Farnell Newton - Funky Horns - Class Is Now In Session - 2011
Patrick Lamb - So Bad - It’s All Right Now - 2011
Josh Kyle - Roll On - Possibilities - 2011
Rene Marie - Black Lace Freudian Slip - Black Lace Freudian Slip - 2011
Andrea Wood - Comes Love - Dhyana - 2011
Sasha Masakowski & Musical Playground - Yours: A Love/Hate Letter To My Hometown - Wishes - 2011
Mad Romance - From This Moment On - Aim High - 2011
Melvin Jones - Inner Tubes - Pivot - 2011
Tempest Little Big Band - 	Captain Cheerio - Round Midnight - 2011
Ernest EC3 Coleman - The Night Has A Thousand Eyes - Her Eyes At Sunset - 2011
Gordon Goodwin’s Big Phat Band - That’s How We Roll - That’s How We Roll - 2011

For more information on who we are and what we do:
http://www.soulandjazz.com/about/

Product may be submitted for airplay consideration to:

J. Scott Fugate
Soulandjazz.com / Jazz Evangelist Promotions
309 Oakland Drive
Gainesville, GA
30501