[JPL] Music query

Peter Solomon psolomon at ideastations.org
Wed Jan 18 14:57:17 EST 2012

Hi jazz programming community,

I received an email from a listener which I have excerpted below - he is
trying to find out about some music he says he heard on npr but I don't see
anything on Weekend Edition's playlist that resembles what he describes:

the original piece is heard as a cue in the TV movie "It's the Great
Pumpkin Charlie Brown" and played by the Vince Guaraldi Sextet.  If you
know the movie, the piece plays over Snoopy's escape from no man's land
after he's been shot down in his Sopwith Camel.  It's a lovely and
evocative piece that opens with a solo flute.  In the arrangement I heard
on NPR, the opening is a solo piano soon joined by acoustic bass.  From
research on the internet, I believe the composer was John Scott Trotter,
NBC's music producer for the Charlie Brown specials (and supposedly the
trombone player who gives voice to the adult's in the Charlie Brown
specials [wah, wah, waaah).  The story is that the master tapes were
lost/destroyed, so the only copies live on as cues in the TV special.
Hearing the beginning of the piece in a new arrangement on NPR has given me
hope I might yet track down a commercially available copy of the song.

If you have an idea of what this might be, please let me know.

Thanks for your help,
Peter Solomon
WCVE Public Radio
(804) 560-8171