[JPL] kareem?

Chantal Phaire phairelady at aol.com
Sat Jan 21 03:19:34 EST 2012

Lois,

I wholeheartedly agree with you!

Arturo, thanks for your post on "The Red Tails."

Earlier this Friday night, my three sisters, and two sister-in laws got together for sister's night. We went to a comedy club & had dinner. From there I planned on catching the last set at Dizzy's. Shhh! Instead, I decided to postpone hearing Jeremy Pelt play the 11:30 set at Dizzy's with Willie Jones III's band in favor of seeing "The Red Tails," at 10:30 tonight. We just made it to Lincoln Square Cinema on 68th & Broadway (a few blocks from Lincoln Center).

For those of you with close-knit siblings, you know how life with them are constant series of bantering. When asked the "what's new with you" question during dinner, I mentioned that Jeremy Pelt has a new CD coming out 1/31, Kareem Abdul Jabbar was made cultural ambassador and Terence Blanchard did the music for "The Red Tails" film. I got the eyes-glazed-over look from my sisters replete with eye rolling & chiding. 'We asked what's new with YOU personally, not your artists or the jazz world. Can you separate the two?!' It continued with jokes like "Hi, I'm Chantal, I know someone, who knew someone else, who smelled Kareem's sneakers back in the day. You think anybody cares?!" They all laughed at my expense. Yeah, that's sisterly LOVE for you "Bronx style."

But I digress.

No sooner did I return from the ladies room at the movie theater to find them snickering. Shhh. Shhh. Don't tell her my middle sister said. "What's up?" I asked as I approached them and saw the shadow of a tall figure saying good night ladies. It was non other than Kareem!

My sister said "I was almost star-struck, but I remembered what you mentioned  earlier so I said congratulations on being our cultural ambassador. Kareem came over and said thank you, it means a lot to me.

He was very warm to them, especially being total strangers.

Ricky maybe you caught him on a bad day?

And to all a good night!

Chantal

Chantal Phaire
Phairelady Management Services
P.O. Box 20773
New York, NY 10025-1516

Phone: (203) 209-7668
Private Fax: (646) 349-2976 Emails: Phairelady at aol.com, PhaireladyAgent1 at aol.com

Phairelady Management Services represents: pianist Kirk LIGHTSEY, living legend pianist JoAnne BRACKEEN (www.joannebrackeenjazzcom), vocalist Denise JANNAH (www.denisejannah.com), trumpeter Jeremy PELT (www.JeremyPelt.net) and drummer, Anthony BROWN's Asian American Orchestra (WWW.anthonybrown.org)