[JPL] Gary Burton birthday week of good vibes on MOJA Radio

Russ Davis davispro at nyc.rr.com
Mon Jan 23 08:40:14 EST 2012

Gary Burton is 69 today!!!! We're celebrating him and his instrument of choice all week on The World's Modern Jazz Radio Channel!

Russ Davis
Voice of America
MOJA Radio
www.mojaradio.com
davispro at nyc.rr.com

MOJA Radio/WEEKLY FEATURES   (23-29 January 2012)

This Monday, January 23rd, we’ll present another “Happy Birthday” edition of our special feature, MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on MOJA Radio. And this time we’ll focus on one of the most important figures in all of jazz history, the great master of the vibes GARY BURTON, on the very day he celebrates his 69th birthday! You’ll hear the music and the stories behind the man whose unique four-mallet technique made him sound unlike any vibes player before him.  You’ll hear how he boldly made the transition from straight ahead to fusion, how he’s worked with the likes of Chick Corea, Larry Coryell, Keith Jarrett, Pat Metheny and so many others with great results. Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS twice every Monday, at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific and this week we wish a very happy birthday to the great GARY BURTON!

In the Mid-1980’s when fusion had faded and the softer side of things began to permeate the radio with the emergence of contemporary jazz, a fun, up and funky trend sprang out of the clubs and concert halls of England that brought new life to jazz.  If you’d like to hear some just listen to our special feature THIS IS ACID JAZZ four times each week on MOJA Radio! You can hear it twice every Tuesday at 9 AM and again at 9 PM EST and twice on Sunday’s at 9 AM & 9 PM EST as part of the Sunday Specials.  The phrase Acid Jazz came from the famous English DJ Gilles Peterson and each week you’ll hear not only the music of the English groups he discovered, but artists from the USA and around the world that joined in on a movement whose repercussions still reverberate today, and the words of Mr. Peterson himself! So if you can’t get enough of that funky stuff come and get it on THIS IS ACID JAZZ four times each week on MOJA Radio!

Back in the day when rock bands like The Grateful Dead and The Allman Brothers Band took their songs on long, improvised journeys and in essence incorporated jazz elements, the stage was set for what became a major part of what we call MOJA…jambands and especially those who set out primarily to make jazz.  If you’d like to hear some just listen five times each week to the newest feature on MOJA Radio, ATTACK OF THE JAZZY JAMBANDS! You can hear it at NOON East/9 AM West every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, plus twice on Sunday at NOON Eastern/9 AM Pacific and Midnight EAST/9 PM West as part of the Sunday Specials.  Following The Dead & The Allmans came Phish then grunge from Seattle.  At the same time American Acid Jazz artists like Karl Denson & Robert Walter started attracting the same fans. Those fans began to follow Galactic and other new artists from NOLA, Medeski, Martin & Wood, John Scofield and the great artists of the North West like Skerik, and San Francisco-area groove artists like Charlie Hunter & Will Bernard! It’s jazz mixed with prog rock and punk, funk and groove, heavy metal and alternative rock. The fans of this music don’t need lyrics, they need the groove and you’ll get it all if you join us for ATTACK OF THE JAZZY JAMBANDS five times each week on MOJA Radio!

LIVE @ MOJALand happens four times each week here on MOJA Radio as we invite you to join us inside the world’s only imaginary jazz club for rare, live performances by the biggest names in Modern Jazz.  Listen Wednesday morning at 9 AM/6 AM Pacific and again Wednesday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, and twice again on Sunday at 11 AM & 11 PM Eastern, as part of the Sunday Specials. This week, we’ll add that exciting spice that is a major element of MOJA as we present LATIN JAZZ JAM LIVE!  You’ll hear some of the greats tapping into their Latin soul as Chick Corea, Dave Samuels, Poncho Sanchez, Arturo Sandoval and others gathered in Miami in 2000 for the “Jam Miami” project. Then it’s Dave and his multi-Grammy-winning band Caribbean Jazz Project live at Pittsburgh’s Manchester Craftsman’s Guild for a 2004 performance of some of their most famous tunes.  We’ll go back in time for the Cuban all-star sensation Irakere featuring Chucho Valdes, Arturo Sandoval and Paquito D’Rivera with music from their 1978 World Tour. Then, it’s Chuco Valdes with Colombian-born multi-instrumentalist and founding member of New York’s Groove Collective, Jay Rodriquez, together live in Italy in 2007 followed by Jay and Groove Collective going Latin at the “Celebrate Brooklyn Festival.”  To hear it all just join us for a LATIN JAZZ JAM LIVE on this week’s edition of LIVE @ MOJALand!

Join Russ Davis for an hour of the freshest MOJA on THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE every Thursday at 9 AM East/6 AM West with a replay at 9 PM East/6 PM West, and twice again on Sundays at 10 AM & 10 PM ET.  This week we’ll start with a double-shot of new music from Georgia as we give you more from that multi-instrumentalist from Atlanta, Tom Grose, and his great, new work titled Crackpot and some cool guitar groove from a Savannah-based Superior Court judge named Jay Stewart and his album Enjoy The Ride. Then it’s a double-shot from England with acid jazz trombonist Dennis Rollins and his album 11th Gate, followed by the band Acoustic Alchemy with the album Roseland. Then we’ll top it off with a double-shot of the hottest, new Latin jazz with Poncho Sanchez & Terence Blanchard recalling the beginnings of Afro-Cuban with their new release titled Chano Y Dizzy followed by an outrageous Latin-Jazz-Big Band release from the Mexican guitar-playing duo Rodrigo Sanchez and Gabriela Quintero with the Collective Universal Band Associaion or C.U.B.A. of Havana and the album titled Area 52. Here’s what you’ll hear this week on THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE!

ARTIST…TITLE…ALBUM (LABEL)

·       Dennis Rollins…11th Gate (Motema)
·       Acoustic Alchemy…Roseland (Heads Up)
·       Tom Grose…Crackpot (www.tomgrose.com)
·       Jay Stewart...Enjoy The Ride (Jay Stewart)
·       Rodrigo Y Gabriela & C.U.B.A.…Area 52 (ATO Records)
·       Poncho Sanchez & Terence Blanchard…Chano Y Dizzy (Concord)
Every Friday beginning at 7 AM until midnight Eastern time we’ll begin each hour with a classic piece of Jazz Fusion history with our special feature we call IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION.  This week we’ll put a special focus on birthday boy Gary Burton, plus Mike Mainieri and Roy Ayers, three men who with mallets in hand made fusion history, as we present a special feature we call “FUSION’S GOOD VIBRATIONS.” You’ll hear some of Roy Ayers’ great work from the ‘70’s featuring collaborations with Herbie Mann, Herbie Hancock, Miroslav Vitous, Gary Bartz and others.  You’ll hear Mike Mainieri, the founder of Steps Ahead, with live performances from The Brecker Brothers’ club 7th Ave. South as well as with the all-star hot shots from NYC known as White Elephant and Gary Burton with the fiery guitar work of Larry Coryell, with pianist Keith Jarrett and others. It’s “FUSION’S GOOD VIBRATIONS,” on this week’s edition of IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION.

We’ll continue our celebration of the birthday of vibes master Gary Burton, one of the greats of MOJA, and two other great men who play the same instrument at the highest level as we present our weekly feature WORDS & MUSIC on MOJA Radio this one titled “MOJA MASTERS OF THE VIBES!” The great Gary Burton turns 69 on Monday the 23rd and it gives us a chance to share some of the wonderful conversations we’ve enjoyed with him. Also, we’ll put the spotlight on three other gentlemen who’ve distinguished themselves by making great MOJA on the vibes, Steps Ahead’s Mike Mainieri, young master Stefon Harris and the Grammy-winning leader of Caribbean Jazz Project, Dave Samuels. Interview segments followed by music will begin each hour from Noon through Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM Pacific). It’s Gary Burton, Stefon Harris, Mike Mainieri and Dave Samuels, “MOJA MASTERS OF THE VIBES,” on this week’s WORDS & MUSIC.

MOJA Radio/WEEKLY FEATURES   (30 January-5 February 2012)

This Monday, January 30th, we’ll present another “Happy Birthday” edition of our special feature, MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on MOJA Radio. And this time we’ll focus on one of the most popular jazzmen from Texas, the great keyboardist JOE SAMPLE, who celebrates his 73rd birthday on Wednesday, February 1st! You’ll hear the music and the stories behind the man began playing in Houston with his pals Wayne Henderson, Wilton Felder & Stix Hooper as the Jazz Crusaders. You’ll hear how they made the move to Los Angeles and stardom during the fusion era, adding young guitar wiz Larry Carlton to the band and changing their name to simply The Crusaders. You’ll hear Joe’s many collaborations with vocalists like Lalah Hathaway, Randy Crawford and Sweden’s Nils Landgren. And of course there’s tons of his great solo work to choose from too. Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS twice every Monday, at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific and this week we wish a very happy birthday to the great JOE SAMPLE!