[JPL] What it IS

Eric Gruner eric at jazz901.org
Wed Jan 25 11:09:45 EST 2012

The Puritans were a significant grouping of English Protestants in the
16th and 17th centuries. Puritanism in this sense was founded by some
Marian exiles from the clergy shortly after the accession of Elizabeth
I of England in 1558, as an activist movement within the Church of
England. The designation "Puritan" is often incorrectly used, notably
based on the assumption that hedonism and puritanism are antonyms.

Read the full story at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puritan

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 10:31 AM, Tom Reney <tr at wfcr.org> wrote:
> THIS WEEK'S SPONSOR: The JazzWeek relaunch -- JazzWeek 2.0 -- crowdfunding project has launched. Visit http://www.indiegogo.com/jazzweek for more information. Become part of the solution.
>
> ---
>

> In putting together a set in memoriam to John Levy for tonight's show I dug out a Stuff Smith Trio side from 1944 entitled "Is Is."  Reminded me of Bill Clinton's wonderful parsing of is
> back when the Puritan, oops, I mean the Prosecutor, Ken Starr was on his trail.
>

> --
> Tom Reney
>
> "Jazz à la Mode"
> Monday-Friday, 8 - 11 p.m.