[JPL] What it IS

Tom Reney tr at wfcr.org
Wed Jan 25 11:32:07 EST 2012

I'm a devotee of the Puritans, and am currently in the midst of reading
a bio of Anne Hutchinson, the foxy lady who was banished by her Puritan
elders from the Plymouth Colony and went on to establish Providence
Plantation, nka Rhode Island, which as a largely Catholic state
certainly knows how to mix piety with pleasure.

But regarding Special Prosecutor Starr, I'm reminded of two quickies
from his zealous witch hunt of the Prez:  One was a letter to the Times
from Sydney reading, "Thank God we got the convicts and you got the
Puritans."  The other goes: "A puritan is a man in a frock, sitting on a
rock, sucking on a lemon, contemplating adultery."

On 1/25/2012 11:09 AM, Eric Gruner wrote:
> THIS WEEK'S SPONSOR: The JazzWeek relaunch -- JazzWeek 2.0 -- crowdfunding project has launched. Visit http://www.indiegogo.com/jazzweek for more information. Become part of the solution.
>
> ---
>
> The Puritans were a significant grouping of English Protestants in the
> 16th and 17th centuries. Puritanism in this sense was founded by some
> Marian exiles from the clergy shortly after the accession of Elizabeth
> I of England in 1558, as an activist movement within the Church of
> England. The designation "Puritan" is often incorrectly used, notably
> based on the assumption that hedonism and puritanism are antonyms.
>
> Read the full story at:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puritan
>

> On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 10:31 AM, Tom Reney<tr at wfcr.org>  wrote:
>> THIS WEEK'S SPONSOR: The JazzWeek relaunch -- JazzWeek 2.0 -- crowdfunding project has launched. Visit http://www.indiegogo.com/jazzweek for more information. Become part of the solution.
>>
>> ---
>>

>> In putting together a set in memoriam to John Levy for tonight's show I dug out a Stuff Smith Trio side from 1944 entitled "Is Is."  Reminded me of Bill Clinton's wonderful parsing of is
>> back when the Puritan, oops, I mean the Prosecutor, Ken Starr was on his trail.
>>

>> --
>> Tom Reney
>>
>> "Jazz à la Mode"
>> Monday-Friday, 8 - 11 p.m.