[JPL] Marc Myers on the jazz audience

Ed Trefzger ed.trefzger at jazzweek.com
Sat Jan 28 10:33:18 EST 2012

If you don't read Marc Myers' JazzWax blog regularly, you're missing out on a lot. Today's is particularly worth reading as he tackles the issue of the jazz audience and how musicians relate to it. I think it's applicable to radio programmers as well and how radio thinks about and treats the music.

A quote:

If the form of jazz you play is that style known as "your own thing," don't be shocked when the audience for your music remains small or shrinks. I'm not advocating that musicians sell out or play corporate events (many do). I'm just asking that they think a little more about their audiences as listeners with eclectic tastes, not judgmental hipsters or low-culture dummies who need to be rehabilitated or transformed.

Despite what professors tell young musicians today, your "own thing" should be about loving your audiences and entertaining them with art, giving them a chance to stop thinking for an evening and feel their hearts. Noise isn't art. And as many jazz musicians are discovering, noise doesn't tend to pay well either.

http://www.jazzwax.com/2012/01/weekend-wax-bits-3.html