[JPL] Marc Myers on the jazz audience

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 28 11:05:12 EST 2012

What's the saying Ed...One man's junk is another man's treasure. Marc's quote is totally subjective but I get his point. I've been on stage performing something and the audience loves it. So I think....hmmm...we have to do that again tomorrow night. It didn't work as well. Why? That's a question that no musician, writer, educator, fortune teller, etc...can answer in definitive terms. It can only be speculative. It's extremely complex and it's no different than what we do from the broadcasting chair. Those of us that have been in that chair for years understand and "feel" your audience. You can feel when you're really connecting and when you're not. What makes that happen? There are a confluence of things that have to merge at that moment for it to work and no one has the majestic answer as to what they all are and how to merge them on the dime. You can develop a level of consistency with the process based on what has worked in the past. If someone
 came up with a concoction that we artists/entertainers, etc...could drink and make us connect with the audience everytime out of the gate...that person would easily be in the 1%.

Jae Sinnett