[JPL] Marc Myers on the jazz audience

Ed Trefzger ed.trefzger at jazzweek.com
Sat Jan 28 11:28:27 EST 2012

Jae,

You are the sort of artist I had in mind as someone who cares and does it right! I think the difference is having a desire to connect with the audience and not having that desire. You are clearly someone who wants to communicate to the audience and reach them and you are someone who has done that and is doing that well. So I think the point I wanted to share from Marc was less about deciding or discovering what the formula is and more about wanting to make the connection.

On the radio side, making that connection is important as well. Why is what you are playing compelling? What about the artist should the audience care about? Why did you put the music together in the way you did? Are you relating to what the audience is doing at that moment -- getting ready for work, driving, working, eating, sitting back in a chair and listening? Are you their companion and guide or just someone talking "at" them?

Ed