[JPL] Continuum, A Journey Through Jazz - "Jazz Funk 1978"

Jazzevangelist scott at soulandjazz.com
Sun Jan 29 10:45:48 EST 2012

Soulandjazz.com Presents:
Continuum – A Journey Through Jazz
Episode 72: "Jazz Funk 1978, Part 10"

Welcome to another edition of Continuum – A Journey Through Jazz . . . and the 10th in a series dedicated to my own “origin story” – the music that got the Jazz Evangelist interested in jazz in the first place. This leg of the journey takes us into the realms of 1978. A dark year of disco for some . . . but a glorious year of jazz funk grooves for me.

Here you go - two hours of solid jazz funk grooves.  Free, legal, CD quality, and available via a click:  http://bit.ly/yGyLOf

It wasn’t just one artist, group or style that turned me on to jazz – but a collection of sounds and grooves that allowed me to sink my soul into the music. That’s why I’m presenting this series, in the hopes that some of these songs may hit the same chord in others.  The ten episodes in this series include most of the music that allowed me to find my own entryway into the Jazz Continuum – making jazz accessible & exciting when I had no idea what it was.

The initial journey lasted from 1975 to around 1982 . . . when I narrowed my taste and became a straight ahead jazz snob for a decade – but the initial phases brought me in touch with a lot of great music which I now embrace wholeheartedly . . . even if some may consider it beneath the dignity of whatever they define as “jazz”.

To that end I present 23 grooves of the jazz funk variety from 1978 including blast from the past by Weather Report, Lenny White, Dexter Wansel, Chick Corea, Jeff Lorber Fusion, George Duke, Raul De Souza, Willie Bobo, Banda Black Rio, Aquarian Dream, Pleasure, Eddie Russ, Brothers Johnson, Herbie Hancock, Sea Level, Wilton Felder, Quincy Jones, Average White Band, Rhythm Heritage, Ronnie Laws, Grover Washington Jr., Montana & The Crusaders.

If you have any particular favorites from the Jazz Continuum circa 1978 please let me know by writing to Scott at SoulandJazz.com. I would also love to connect with you via Facebook & Twitter . . . just look for the Jazz Evangelist.

Agape ya’ll,
J. Scott Fugate, ‘The Jazz Evangelist’

PLAYLIST: Continuum – A Journey Through Jazz # 72: "Jazz Funk 1978, Part 10"

Artist – Track – Album – Year

Weather Report	 - River People - Mr. Gone - 1978
Lenny White - Lockie’s Inspiration / I’ll See You Soon - Streamline - 1978
Dexter Wansel - Voyager - Voyager - 1978
Chick Corea - Fickle Funk - Secret Agent - 1978
Jeff Lorber Fusion - Proteus - Soft Space - 1978
George Duke - 	We Give Our Love - Don’t Let Go - 1978
Raul De Souza - Daisy Mae - Don’t Ask My Neighbors - 1978
Willie Bobo - Always There - Hell Of An Act To Follow - 1978
Banda Black Rio - Expresso Madureira - Gafieira Universal - 1978
Aquarian Dream - You’re A Star - Fantasy - 1978
Pleasure - No Matter What - Get To The Feeling - 1978
Eddie Russ - Take A Look At Yourself - Take A Look At Yourself - 1978
Brothers Johnson - Streetwave - Blam!! - 1978
Herbie Hancock - I Thought It Was You - 	Sunlight - 1978
Sea Level - Fifty Four - On The Edge - 1978
Wilton Felder - 	Let’s Dance Together - We All Have A Star - 1978
Quincy Jones - 	Poppy Girls - The Wiz Original Soundtrack - 1978
Average White Band - Sweet And Sour - Warmer Communications - 1978
Rhythm Heritage - Skippin’ - Sky’s The Limit - 1978
Ronnie Laws - Love Is Here - Flame - 1978
Grover Washington Jr. - Do Dat	 - Reed Seed - 1978
Montana - Warp Factor II - A Dance Fantasy Inspired By Close Encounters of the Third Kind - 1978
Crusaders - Bayou Bottoms - Images - 1978

Background Music Bed:
Earth, Wind & Fire - Runnin’ (Original Hollywood Mix) - All ‘n All - 1977

For more information on who we are and what we do:
http://www.soulandjazz.com/about/

Product may be submitted for airplay consideration & promotion to:

J. Scott Fugate
Soulandjazz.com / Jazz Evangelist Promotions
309 Oakland Drive
Gainesville, GA
30501