[JPL] Swing! #10 - Sirens Of Swing: Billie Holiday

Jazzevangelist scott at soulandjazz.com
Sun Jan 29 10:53:50 EST 2012

Soulandjazz.com Presents:
Swing! #10 - "Sirens of Swing: Billie Holiday"

Welcome back to another edition of my monthly (and sometimes quarterly) show entitled “Swing!” This episode showcases one of the original sirens of swing, who many proclaim to be the first jazz singer . . . Billy Holiday – aka Lady Day.

Here it is, ready to swing:  http://www.soulandjazz.com/category/swing/episode-10-sirens-of-swing-billie-holiday/

We’re a bit overstimulated & jaded in this day and age to hear true innovation – because it seems we’ve heard it all before . . . but when Billie started to swing, no one had ever really heard a woman sing like that before. She improvised like an instrumentalist, created unique phrasings, and set a new standard. This episode covers some of the highlights of her early career from 1933 to 1941 . . . 19 tracks that she sang between the ages of 18 and 26.

Billie Holiday set the stage for many singer who came after her. Jazz, pop, rock & soul singers from Eryka Badu to Jill Scott and Amy Winehouse to Adele continue to incorporate her vocal techniques and style 53 years after her death – although these artist are often touted by critics for their unique and individual sound. Everything old is new again . . . yet we forget the originators, and give credit to those that revive what came before them and call it by new names – such as neo-soul . . . or BAM – but’s it’s all part of a continuum that swings like a pendulum.

Keep those cards & letters coming with your comments, questions, and casserole recipe requests to Scott at SoulandJazz.com or join the conversation on Facebook or Twitter by liking or following the Jazz Evangelist!

Agape ya’ll,
J. Scott Fugate, ‘The Jazz Evangelist’

PLAYLIST:  Swing! – "Sirens of Swing: Billie Holiday"

Artist – Track – Album – Year

Billie Holiday & Her Orchestra - God Bless The Child	 - LAdy Day: The Master Takes & Singles - 1941
Billie Holiday with Benny Goodman & His Orchestra - Your Mothers Son-In-Law - The Complete Billie Holiday on Columbia - 1933
Billie Holiday with Benny Goodman & His Orchestra - Riffin The Scotch - The Complete Billie Holiday on Columbia	 - 1933
Billie Holiday with Teddy Wilson & His Orchestra - What A Little Moonlight Can Do - Lady Day: The Master Takes & Singles - 1935
Billie Holiday with Teddy Wilson & His Orchestra - Miss Brown To You - Lady Day: The Master Takes & Singles - 1935
Billie Holiday with Teddy Wilson & His Orchestra - Spreadin’ Rhythm Around - Lady Day: The Master Takes & Singles - 1935
Billie Holiday - Summertime - The Quintessential Billie Holiday, Vol. 2 - 1936
Billie Holiday & Her Orchestra - Did I Remember? - Lady Day: The Master Takes & Singles - 1936
Billie Holiday & Her Orchestra - Billie’s Blues - Lady Day: The Master Takes & Singles - 1936
Billie Holiday - Me, Myself & I - Lady Day: The Master Takes & Singles - 1937
Billie Holiday - Trav’lin All Alone - Lady Day: The Master Takes & Singles	 - 1937
Billie Holiday & Her Orchestra - Without Your Love - Lady Day: The Master Takes & Singles - 1937
Billie Holiday - Strange Fruit - Ken Burns Jazz - 1939
Billie Holiday & Her Orchestra - Swing! Brother, Swing! - Lady Day: The Master Takes & Singles - 1939
Billie Holiday with Teddy Wilson & His Orchestra - Sugar - Lady Day: The Master Takes & Singles - 1939
Billie Holiday & Her Orchestra - St. Louis Blues - Lady Day: The Master Takes & Singles - 1940
Billie Holiday & Her Orchestra - Let’s Do It - Lady Day: The Master Takes & Singles - 1941
Billie Holiday & Her Orchestra - All Of Me - Lady Day: The Master Takes & Singles - 1941
Billie Holiday & Louis Armstrong - The Blues Are Brewin’ - New Orleans: Original Soundtrack - 1947

For more information on who we are and what we do:
http://www.soulandjazz.com/about/

Product may be submitted for airplay consideration & promotion to:

J. Scott Fugate
Soulandjazz.com / Jazz Evangelist Promotions
309 Oakland Drive
Gainesville, GA
30501