[JPL] Reney blog: Grant Stewart in the Wintry Countryside

Tom Reney tr at wfcr.org
Sun Jan 29 15:46:59 EST 2012

Thanks Nou.  Grant remembers hanging with you in Vancouver.
Coincidentally, he played Elmo's "Carvin' the Rock" last night at Eagle
Hill up here.

Stewart's show was a textbook example of what Marc Myers said was
missing from jazz on his JazzWax blog yesterday. They arrived from NYC
in plenty of time for a sound check. The quintet (Magnarelli, Hazeltine,
Paul Sikivie, Phil Stewart) played great tunes and thoughtful, coherent
solos.  They graciously acknowledged applause.  Stewart announced the
tunes and composers, made some quips that drew laughs, and thanked the
venue for the opportunity.  A smokin' encore ("If I Ever I Would Leave
You") pressed between two standing O's sent 250 home happy, and I bet
they'd all return if the band was booked again in a month.

Tunes included Raincheck/Strayhorn; Vierd Blues/Miles; Smoke Gets in
Your Eyes/Kern; Amsterdam After Dark/Geo Coleman; Solid/Rollins.

Set 2: Moment of Joy/Hazeltine; Around the Corner/Barry Harris; I'm Glad
There Is You/Dorsey; Carvin' the Rock/Hope; Buffalo/KD.

Last but not least, they wore stage attire, which is another thing music
departments should teach-- and venues ought to require.

TR

On 1/27/2012 10:48 PM, Nou Dadoun wrote:
> THIS WEEK'S SPONSOR: The JazzWeek relaunch -- JazzWeek 2.0 -- crowdfunding project has launched. Visit http://www.indiegogo.com/jazzweek for more information. Become part of the solution.
>
> ---
>
> Nice Tom, I did an interview with Grant and Tardo Hammer a few years
> ago when they came through Vancouver and Grant's been back a couple of
> times since; great player - remember him talking about playing with
> Bertha Hope doing a an Elmo Hope tribute project.  Hope he gets a
> chance to record some Hope tunes sometime.   I'll have to keep an eye
> open for your liner notes in the future, thanks .. N
>
> On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 6:56 PM, Tom Reney<tr at wfcr.org>  wrote:
>> http://www.nepr.net/blog/grant-stewart-wintry-countryside
>>
>> --
>> Tom Reney