[JPL] playlist: Sound of Surprise 1-29-12

Larry Appelbaum jumpmonk at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 29 20:33:15 EST 2012

Sound of Surprise
WPFW-FM
Washington DC
Sundays 4-6 pm
Jan. 29, 2012

R.I.P. Jimmy "Junebug" Jackson
1) Jimmy "Junebug" Jackson-Teaneck (On My Way Home)

R.I.P. Clare Fischer
2) Clare Fischer-Favela (Latino Blue)

3) Brad Mehldau-London Blues (The Art of the Trio Additional Recordings)
4) Keith Jarrett-IV (Rio)
5) Ray Charles-I've Got News (Genius + Soul = Jazz)
6) The Soul Rebels-504 (Unlock Your Mind)
7) Don Byron-I've Got To Live the Life I Sing About (Love, Peace and Soul)

In town this week: Lee Konitz
8) Lee Konitz-I Remember You (Motion)
9) Lee Konitz-Blues for Our Children (Lee Konitz Meets Jimmy Giuffre)
10) Lee Konitz-Sub Consciously-Lee (Live at Village Vanguard)

James Jamerson's birthday (recordings with isolated bass lines)
11) James Jamerson with Gladys Knight-I Heard It Through The Grapevine (download)
12) James Jamerson with Levi Stuffs-Standing in the Shadows of Love (download)
13) James Jamerson with Marvin Gaye-What's Going On (download)

14) Chick Corea, Eddie Gomez, Paul Motian-Turn Out The Stars (Further Explorations)
15) Ali Jackson, Aaron Goldberg, Omer Avital-Maraba Blue (Yes!)

Jeanne Lee's birthday
16) Jeanne Lee & Ran Blake-Blue Monk (The Newest Sound Around)
17) Jeanne Lee & Ran Blake-Worry Later (You Stepped Out of a Cloud)
18) Jeanne Lee & Mal Waldron-I Could Write a Book (After Hours)
19) Jeanne Lee & Peter Kowald-In These Last Days (Duos)
20) George Adams-Going Home (Nightingale)
Host: Larry Appelbaum
jumpmonk at hotmail.com