[JPL] The Jazz Session's "Jazz Or Bust" Tour Starts This Friday! Plus: Miles Okazaki & Nicky Schrire!

Jason Crane | The Jazz Session jason at thejazzsession.com
Fri Jun 1 00:05:09 EDT 2012

You can see a snazzy PDF version of this newsletter at http://bit.ly/LQcYK5

...or read the text below:

May 31, 2012

Hello friends!

The “Jazz Or Bust” Tour Starts June 1: I leave Friday, June 1, for
Wilmington, Delaware – the first stop on my tour. I'll be interviewing
guitarist Judith Kay in Wilmington before heading on Sunday to State
College, PA, for a visit with family and an interview with cellist TJ
Borden. Then it's off to Shepherdstown (WV), Washington DC, Richmond
(VA), Charlottesville (VA), Nashville (TN), Knoxville (TN) … and the
list goes on.

Follow The Tour: I'll be posting my daily tour diary, new poems,
recordings of my poetry readings, photos and more at
http://jasoncrane.org. In fact, the diaries from my final two days in
NYC are there now. You'll also find a list of my scheduled poetry
readings there. And of course the podcasts from the tour will be at
http://thejazzsession.com as they always are. And you can follow me on
Twitter at @JasonDCrane.

Support The Tour: You can donate and get cool thank-you gifts at
http://thejazzsession.com/tour.

Poetry Readings:
~ June 6: Shepherdstown, WV - 6 p.m. at Good Natured Market & Vegetarian
Cafe (209 South Raleigh Street Martinsburg, WV)
~ June 12: Richmond, VA - 6 p.m. at Chop Suey Books.
~ June 17: Nashville, TN - 4 p.m. at The Jazz Cave, Nashville Jazz
Workshop, 1319 Adams St.)

There will probably be one on June 7 in DC, too. Details TBA.

News Coverage Of The Tour: NPR's A Blog Supreme: http://n.pr/Lzq14E. The
Village Voice: http://bit.ly/LO6He7. And my pal Patrick McCurry in
Auburn, AL (with whom I'll be staying later on the tour):
http://bit.ly/LO6VSn.

Join The Jazz Session: While I'm on tour, it'll be your memberships that
keep me going. If you'd like to become a supporting member of the show,
visit http://thejazzsession.com/join.

Peace, love and jazz,

Jason

*********************************
THIS WEEK ON THE JAZZ SESSION
*********************************

TJS #376: Miles Okazaki. Guitarist Miles Okazaki’s new album is
Figurations (Sunnyside, 2012), recorded live at The Jazz Gallery in New
York City. It’s the third and final album in the series that includes
Mirror and Generations. In this interview, Okazaki talks about the
series and the different aspects of his music he explored on each album;
the Golden Mean and Fibonacci numbers and how they figure into his
compositions; why it was important for him to record a live album; and
how his artwork informs his music and vice versa LISTEN:
http://bit.ly/LMsgz9

TJS #377: Nicky Schrire. Vocalist Nicky Schrire’s debut album is Freedom
Flight (Circavision, 2012). In this interview, Schrire talks about the
diverse and often daring songs she’s chosen for her debut; the impact on
her life and music of Kate McGarry, Peter Eldridge and Bobby McFerrin;
her South African upbringing and switch from saxophone to voice; and why
she made the move to New York. LISTEN: http://bit.ly/L20RXl

CONCERT NOTE: Schrire’s New York CD release event is Wednesday, June 6
at 8:30 p.m. at Cornelia Street Cafe. For details on that and other
upcoming shows, visit http://nickyschrire.com.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/jasondcrane

RSS Feed: http://thejazzsession.com/feed/?category_name=podcast

iTunes: itpc://thejazzsession.com/?feed=rss2&category_name=podcast

*********************************

--
Jason Crane
Host/Producer