[JPL] Tina Brooks

Nou Dadoun nou.dadoun at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 15:49:53 EDT 2012

There's a great Mosaic box of his complete Blue Note recordings mainly his
own True Blue and Back to the Tracks along with some sessions with Jackie
McLean - his recordings as a leader were impossible to find til the Mosaic
box came out then Blue Note reissued them, highly recommended; did he
record for anybody else? ... N

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 12:41 PM, Tom Mallison
<tomthejazzman at embarqmail.com>wrote:

> Thought many of you might not be familiar with Tina Brooks or even thought
> it was a female.
>
> Harold Floyd Brooks was born in Fayetteville, North Carolina, and was the
> brother of David "Bubba" Brooks. The nickname *"Tina"*, pronounced Teena,
> was a variation of *"Teeny"*, a childhood moniker. His favorite tune was
> "My Devotion".  Initially, he studied the C-melody saxophone, which he
> began playing the shortly after he moved to New York with his family in
> 1944. Brooks' first professional work came in 1951 with rhythm and blues
> pianist Sonny Thompson, and, in 1955, Brooks played with vibraphonist
> Lionel Hampton.  Brooks also received less formal guidance from trumpeter
> and composer "Little" Benny Harris, who led the saxophonist to his first
> recording as a leader. Harris, in fact, was the one who recommended him to
> legendary producer Alfred Lion in 1958 which led to Blue Note Sessions.
>
> ALOHA
> Tom
>

> ------

====