[JPL] R.I.P Pete Cosey, from blue to cosmic jazz guitarist

Nou Dadoun nou.dadoun at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 13:56:30 EDT 2012

Thanks for that note Jim, that would be fascinating to see - Pete Cosey on
daytime tv?  Astounding!

On Friday, played an excerpt from the first Prelude on Pangaea (that
includes Sonny Fortune's great solo) as well as Miles Runs the Voodoo Down
from Miles From India - of course, Cosey is also in that Martin Scorsese
Blues episode about Electric Mud and this note came in this morning from
the jazz-research list:

===
  If anyone's deeply interested in the complete works of the
underdocumented Pete Cosey, they might want to tune in to KWSS-FM web radio
(or use the web radio recording service DAR.fm to record it) this evening.

John Dixon, Arizona music historian, Bear Family reissue producer, former
Impulse and Capitol A&R-promotion person, DJ and record collector, plans to
play unissued studio tracks of Pete Cosey as a bandleader from his Phoenix
days. I doubt these rare tracks are of great *jazz* interest, but they
might be a clue to Pete's roots. John Dixon says the tracks are an
instrumental of "Monkey See" and a cover of "I'm Looking Over a Four Leaf
Clover" (?).

If interested, look for "Mostly Vinyl with Johnny D" 5-8 PM Sunday Mountain
Standard Time (no daylight savings in most of Arizona) on http://kwss.org

Best wishes,
Allan Chase
====

Never had a chance to see Pete Cosey live but was always in awe for those
two Miles records, RIP Pete indeed ... N

On Sun, Jun 3, 2012 at 5:00 AM, Jim Eigo <jim at jazzpromoservices.com> wrote:

> I saw this band at the Bottom line, but with Sonny Fortune not Liebman.
>
> Cosey once hired me to do PR for his gig @the old Village Underground
> (across from the Blue Note on West 3rd).  There was a dispute about the
> money so Pete took the promoter to court.  The People's Court and I was
> promptly paid.  So somewhere in TV land there's this episode.  Anyone have
> a lead that would be great to see.
>
> R.I.P. Pete!
>
> And lets not forget his work with Rotary Connection and Electric Mud too!
>
> Jim Eigo
>

> On 6/1/12 10:35 PM, "onthebeach at aol.com" <onthebeach at aol.com> wrote:
>

> >Pete Cosey, a Chicago session guitarist mostly known for his work with
> >the great Miles Davis, has passed away. The axe man was 68 years old.
> >According to The Chicago Reader, Cosey "was a classic musician's
> >musician" who played on many amazing blues and jazz albums. He began his
> >career as a guitarist with Chess Records in the 1960s. There he recorded
> >with Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters, theRotary Connection, Phil Cohran and
> >the late Etta James.
> >
> >Cosey is mostly known for his virtuosic fret work with Miles Davis in the
> >early '70s, playing on the horn blower's more electric albums Agharta,
> >Pangaea, and Get Up With It. After Davis retired, Cosey struggled to
> >latch onto another big project, despite being featured on Herbie
> >Hancock's Future Shock. Cosey's angular, and futurist solos will live on
> >through some of jazz music's most enigmatic records. Check out the video
> >below of the Chicago guitarist playing with Miles Davis.
> >

> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PruMPJTsqvo
> >

> >ricky schultz
> >thejazzconsultant.com
>

> ------