[JPL] Playlist-Jazz with George Thomas on VPR with Burlington Discover Jazz Festival for Wednesday, 06/06/12

George Thomas gthomas at vpr.net
Wed Jun 6 23:17:59 EDT 2012

Jazz with George Thomas on VPR with Burlington Discover Jazz Festival for Wednesday, 06/06/12

Tonight I announced my retirement from being the Jazz Host here at VPR. I've been honored to share jazz with you for almost 11 years and have learned so much about this great American music - Jazz. We also celebrate the upcoming performances of the Burlington Discover Jazz Festival.

Playlist

9:00pm
Turnaround
Artist Name 	The Pee Wee Russell Quartet with Marshall Brown
Composer 	Ornette Coleman
Soloists 	Pee Wee Russell-Clarinet ; Marshall Brown-Valve Trombone
CD/Album 	Ask Me Now!
Record co./Cat # 	Verve 024 755 742-2
Release Year 	1965

9:04pm
The Music Is The Magic
Artist Name 	Abbey Lincoln
Composer 	Abbey Lincoln
Soloists 	Abbey Lincoln-Vocals
CD/Album 	Abbey Sings Abbey
Record co./Cat # 	Verve B0008900-02
Release Year 	2007

9:08pm
One Mint Julip
Artist Name 	Monty Alexander
Composer 	Rudolph Toombs
Soloists 	Monty Alexander-Piano
CD/Album 	Uplift
Record co./Cat # 	Jazz Legacy Productions 1001012
Release Year 	2011
Note 	Birthday: Monty Alexander 6.6.1944

9:14pm
On The Sunny Side Of The Street
Artist Name 	Roberta Gambarini
Composer 	Dorothy Fields, Jimmy McHugh
Soloists 	Roberta Gambarini-Vocals
CD/Album 	Easy To Love
Record co./Cat # 	Kindred Rhythm / Groovin' High 1122
Release Year 	2006

9:24pm
Linus And Lucy
Artist Name 	Vince Guaraldi Trio
Composer 	Vince Guaraldi
Soloists 	Vince Guaraldi-Piano
CD/Album 	Greatest Hits
Record co./Cat # 	Fantasy 7706-2
Release Year 	1989
Note 	Listener Request

9:27pm
Matador
Artist Name 	Grant Green
Composer 	Grant Green
Soloists 	Grant Green-Guitar
CD/Album 	Matador
Record co./Cat # 	Blue Note Records 84442-2
Release Year 	1965
Note 	Birthday: Grant Green 6.6.1931

9:37pm
Loads Of Love
Artist Name 	Dianne Reeves
Composer 	Richard Rodgers
Soloists 	Dianne Reeves-Vocals
CD/Album 	A Little Moonlight
Record co./Cat # 	Blue Note Records 80252 2
Release Year 	2003
Note 	Dianne Reeves June 9 - Burlington Discover Jazz Festival

9:44pm
Simmer Down
Artist Name 	Monty Alexander
Composer 	Bob Marley
Soloists 	Monty Alexander-Piano ; Delfeayo Marsalis-Trombone
CD/Album 	Concrete Jungle: The Music Of Bob Marley
Record co./Cat # 	Telarc Jazz 83635
Release Year 	2006
Note 	Birthday: Monty Alexander 6.6.1944

9:48pm
Big Alice
Artist Name 	Howard Johnson & Gravity
Composer 	Don Pullen
Soloists 	Howard Johnson-Tuba
CD/Album 	Gravity!!!
Record co./Cat # 	Verve 314 531 021-2
Release Year 	1996

10:00pm
The Shade Of The Cedar Tree
Artist Name 	Christian McBride & Inside Straight
Composer 	Christian McBride
Soloists 	Christian McBride-Bass
CD/Album 	Kind Of Brown
Record co./Cat # 	Mack Avenue 1047
Release Year 	2009
Note 	June 8-Burl. Discover Jazz Festival

10:08pm
This Love Of Mine
Artist Name 	Rahsaan Roland Kirk & Al Hibbler
Composer 	Frank Sinatra, Henry Sanicola, Sol Parker
Soloists 	Rahsaan Roland Kirk-Tenor Sax, Manzello, Stritch, Flute ; Al Hibbler-Vocals
CD/Album 	A Meeting Of The Times
Record co./Cat # 	Collectables 6266
Release Year 	1972

10:13pm
Everything Must Change
Artist Name 	Paul Bollenback
Composer 	Bernard Ighner
Soloists 	Paul Bollenback-Guitar
CD/Album 	Invocation
Record co./Cat # 	Elephant Dreams 4550
Release Year 	2007
Note 	Birthday: Paul Bollenback 6.6.1959

10:21pm
Tin Tin Deo
Artist Name 	Arturo Sandoval
Composer 	Chano Pozo, Walter Fuller
Soloists 	Arturo Sandoval-Trumpet
CD/Album 	Dear Diz (Every Day I Think Of You)
Record co./Cat # 	Concord Picante 33020-02
Release Year 	2012
Note 	New

10:28pm
Hurricane Season
Artist Name 	Trombone Shorty
Composer 	Troy Andrews
Soloists 	Trombone Shorty-Trombone
CD/Album 	Backatown
Record co./Cat # 	Verve Forecast B00014194-02
Release Year 	2010
Note 	June 7 - Discover Jazz Festival

10:31pm
Do To Me
Artist Name 	Trombone Shorty
Composer 	Troy Andrews, Ryan Montleau
Soloists 	Trombone Shorty-Trombone ; Jeff Beck-Guitar
CD/Album 	For True
Record co./Cat # 	Verve Forecast B0015586-02
Release Year 	2011
Note 	June 7 - Discover Jazz Festival

10:36pm
That Old Sound (No. 27)
Artist Name 	Mary Halvorson Quintet
Composer 	Mary Halvorson
Soloists 	Mary Halvorson-Guitar
CD/Album 	Bending Bridges
Record co./Cat # 	Firehouse 12 12-04-01-016
Release Year 	2012
Note 	June 7 - Discover Jazz Festival

10:41pm
Grantstand
Artist Name 	Grant Green
Composer 	Grant Green
Soloists 	Grant Green-Guitar ; Jack McDuff-Organ
CD/Album 	Grantstand
Record co./Cat # 	Blue Note Records 46430-2
Release Year 	1961
Note 	Birthday: Grant Green 6.6.1931

10:50pm
'Round Midnight
Artist Name 	Bill Evans
Composer 	Thelonious Monk
Soloists 	Bill Evans-Piano
CD/Album 	Live At Art D'Lugoff's Top Of The Gate
Record co./Cat # 	Resonance Records 2012
Release Year 	2012
Note 	New

Jazz In The Evening with George Thomas
Vermont Public Radio