[JPL] Aging Programmers

Mark Hayes mark.e.hayes at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 20:59:14 EDT 2012

Dear Listies --

I'm in my early 40s and one of the *youngest* programmers on WDNA here in
Miami.  The challenge for jazz stations that are playing everything from
the 1920s to the 2010s is to make sure that one has enough folks who can
bridge many of the divides -- big bands to combos, vocals to instrumentals,
swing to backbeats, hot jazz to post-bop.  My approach on my little show is
to hook a certain type of listener at one end of the hour and take them on
a journey through genres/styles all the way to the other end of the hour.
 So maybe there's some kid who's into Medeski Martin and Wood who gets
turned on to Art Tatum, or some Monk devotee who learns about Eric Reed.
 Everyone's got to try to listen with big ears and an open mind, if you ask
me.

If folks want to hear 1949-1967 Miles Davis all the time (nothing wrong
with Miles, now), they can put that entire period on an iPod and bliss out.

Love to the List!

Mark

*www.markehayes.net* <http://www.markehayes.net/>

 <http://www.google.com/reader/shared/mark.e.hayes>