[JPL] aging Programmers

Tom Mallison tomthejazzman at embarqmail.com
Wed Jun 13 20:47:08 EDT 2012

Programming Jazz on the Radio is not about the age of the PROGRAMMER or
their personal taste in music.

Streaming has really changed this equation with more listeners from
outside the USA who have a real thirst of older classic jazz.  Most
could care less about new artists and music, but that is what keeps
stations on the air.....having listeners unless you subscribe to the
next philosophy.

I once had an underwriter tell my station manager that all that really
mattered was that he as an underwriter was pleased with the programming
and he kept paying for underwriting....programming.  He felt the number
of listeners was insignificant compared to underwriting dollars.  This
was a real revelation to the manager who had always paid attention to
the Arbitron numbers and not the bottom line of the station revenue stream.

I hope these comments engage you in the conversation.
ALOHA  Tom