[JPL] The Jazz Session newsletter: News from the "Jazz Or Bust" tour! Interviews with Barry Kernfeld & Harris Eisenstadt!

Jason Crane | The Jazz Session jason at thejazzsession.com
Sun Jun 17 12:02:02 EDT 2012

You can see a snazzy PDF version of this newsletter at http://bit.ly/LSrvUO

...or read the text below:

June 17, 2012

Hello friends!

On Tour: Week 2 of the tour has come and gone. I've been in Silver
Spring, MD; Washington, D.C.; Richmond, VA; Charlottesville, VA; and now
Nashville, TN. On the 20th I head to Knoxville, TN. All my tour diaries,
photos, poetry recordings and non-jazz interviews are at
http://jasoncrane.org. And of course the podcasts from the tour are at
http://thejazzsession.com. You can follow me on Twitter at @JasonDCrane.

Support The Tour: To donate and get cool thank-you gifts, visit
http://thejazzsession.com/tour.

Upcoming Poetry Readings:

~ June 17: Nashville, TN - 4 p.m. at The Jazz Cave, Nashville Jazz
Workshop, 1319 Adams St.

~ June 22: Knoxville, TN - 7 p.m. at the home of Kay Newton, 1006
Luttrell St. (Courtesy of the Knoxville Writer's Guild)

~ June 29: Auburn, AL - 7 p.m. at The Gnu's Room, 414 S. Gay St.

Join The Jazz Session: While I'm on tour, it'll be your memberships that
keep me going. If you'd like to become a supporting member of the show,
visit http://thejazzsession.com/join.

Peace, love and jazz,

Jason

*********************************
THIS WEEK ON THE JAZZ SESSION
*********************************

TJS #380: Barry Kernfeld. Barry Kernfeld is the author of Pop Song
Piracy: Disobedient Music Distribution since 1929 (University of Chicago
Press, 2011); The Story of Fake Books: Bootlegging Songs to Musicians
(Scarecrow, 2006); and What To Listen For In Jazz (Yale University
Press, 1995). He may be most well known as the editor of both editions
of the New Grove Dictionary of Jazz, a massive undertaking that sought
to define the major players, instruments and theories of jazz around the
world. In this interview, Kernfeld talks about his early years in San
Francisco during the height of the rock explosion; his move to Cornell
in the 70s and the unexpectedly progressive atmosphere he found there;
how he came to edit the New Grove Dictionary of Jazz and the response to
its first edition; and his subsequent investigations of song piracy and
fake books. LISTEN: http://bit.ly/LNI5n3

TJS #381: Harris Eisenstadt. Harris Eisenstadt’s two new records are
Canada Day III (Songlines, 2012) and Canada Day Octet (482 Music, 2012).
In this interview, Eisenstadt talks about expanding existing quintet
music to octet form; the evolution of the Canada Day band and what its
longevity allows him to do as a composer; and the life of a touring
musician. LISTEN: http://bit.ly/K5YCBo

Twitter: http://twitter.com/jasondcrane

RSS Feed: http://thejazzsession.com/feed/?category_name=podcast

iTunes: itpc://thejazzsession.com/?feed=rss2&category_name=podcast

--
Jason Crane
The Jazz Session

NOW ON MY "JAZZ OR BUST" TOUR: