[JPL] Playlist-Jazz with George Thomas on VPR with Sammy Cahn, Con Conrad for Monday, 06/18/12

George Thomas gthomas at vpr.net
Mon Jun 18 23:17:33 EDT 2012

Jazz with George Thomas on VPR with Sammy Cahn, Con Conrad for Monday, 06/18/12

Tonight we celebrate the birthdays of two songwriters: Sammy Cahn, lyricist of "Guess I'll Hang My Tears Out To Dry," "I Should Care," "All The Way," "Teach Me Tonight" and "Until The Real Thing Comes Along;" and Con Conrad who wrote the music to, "The Continental" and "You Call It Madness."

Playlist

9:00pm
The Continental
Artist Name 	Oscar Peterson & Fred Astaire
Composer 	Con Conrad, Magidson
Soloists 	Fred Astaire-Vocals ; Oscar Peterson-Piano
CD/Album 	Complete Norman Granz Sessions
Record co./Cat # 	The Jazz Factory 22877
Release Year 	1952
Note 	Birthday: Con Conrad 6.18.1891

9:04pm
You Call It Madness
Artist Name 	Diana Krall
Composer 	Gladys Dubois, Con Conrad, Russ Colombo, Paul Gregory
Soloists 	Diana Krall-Piano, Vocals ; Russell Malone-Guitar
CD/Album 	All For You
Record co./Cat # 	Impulse! 182
Release Year 	1996
Note 	Birthday: Con Conrad 6.18.1891

9:09pm
Gone With The Wind
Artist Name 	Bill Evans
Composer 	Magidson, Wrubel
Soloists 	Bill Evans-Piano ; Eddie Gomez-Bass
CD/Album 	Live At Art D'Lugoff's Top Of The Gate
Record co./Cat # 	Resonance Records 2012
Release Year 	2012
Note 	New

9:15pm
I Should Care
Artist Name 	Abbey Lincoln & Hank Jones
Composer 	Sammy Cahn, Axel Stordhal, Paul Weston
Soloists 	Abbey Lincoln-Vocals ; Hank Jones-Piano
CD/Album 	When There Is Love
Record co./Cat # 	Verve 314 519 697-2
Release Year 	1993
Note 	Birthday: Sammy Cahn 6.18.1913

9:22pm
Calistoga
Artist Name 	Lorraine Feather
Composer 	Duke Ellington, Lorraine Feather
Soloists 	Lorraine Feather-Vocals
CD/Album 	Dooji Wooji
Record co./Cat # 	Santuary Records 34101-2
Release Year 	2005

9:25pm
Guess I'll Hang My Tears Out To Dry
Artist Name 	Sarah Vaughan
Composer 	Sammy Cahn, Jule Styne
Arranger 	Gerald Wilson
Soloists 	Sarah Vaughan-Vocals ; Carmell Jones-Trumpet
CD/Album 	The Complete Roulette Sarah Vaughan Studio Sessions
Record co./Cat # 	Mosaic 8-214
Release Year 	1963
Note 	Birthday: Sammy Cahn 6.18.1913

9:29pm
Bebe
Artist Name 	Brazilian Trio
Composer 	Helio Alves
Soloists 	Helio Alves-Piano ; Nilson Matta-Bass ; Duduka Da Fonseca-Drums
CD/Album 	Constelacao
Record co./Cat # 	Motema Music 93
Release Year 	2012
Note 	New

9:35pm
Nu Groove
Artist Name 	Curtis Fuller
Composer 	Curtis Fuller
Soloists 	Curtis Fuller-Trombone ; Keith Oxman-Tenor Sax ; Al Hood-Trumpet
CD/Album 	Down Home
Record co./Cat # 	Capri Records 74116-2
Release Year 	2012
Note 	New

9:47pm
As Summer Into Autumn Slips
Artist Name 	Branford Marsalis Quartet
Composer 	Joey Calderazzo
Soloists 	Branford Marsalis-Sax ; Joey Calderazzo-Piano
CD/Album 	Four MFs Playin' Tunes
Record co./Cat # 	Marsalis Music 0018
Release Year 	2012
Note 	New

9:57pm
Wake Up And Live
Artist Name 	Catherine Russell
Composer 	Mack Gordon, Harry Revel
Soloists 	Catherine Russell-Vocals
CD/Album 	Strickly Romancin'
Record co./Cat # 	World Village 468101
Release Year 	2012
Note 	New

10:01pm
I'm An Old Cowhand
Artist Name 	Sonny Rollins
Composer 	Johnny Mercer
Soloists 	Sonny Rollins-Tenor Sax ; Ray Brown-Bass ; Shelly Manne-Drums
CD/Album 	Way Out West
Record co./Cat # 	Contemporary 7530
Release Year 	1957

10:07pm
As The Deer
Artist Name 	Andrew Swift
Composer 	Martin Nystrom
Soloists 	Sharel Cassity-Alto Sax
CD/Album 	Swift Kick
Record co./Cat # 	D Clef Records 155
Release Year 	2012
Note 	New

10:15pm
Wouldn't It Be Loverly
Artist Name 	Lynne Arriale
Composer 	Alan Jay Lerner, Frederick Lowe
Soloists 	Lynne Arriale-Piano
CD/Album 	Solo
Record co./Cat # 	Motema Music 83
Release Year 	2011
Note 	New

10:22pm
Moose The Mooche
Artist Name 	Charlie Parker Septet
Composer 	Charlie Parker
Soloists 	Charlie Parker-Alto Sax ; Miles Davis-Trumpet ; Lucky Thompson-Tenor Sax ; Dodo Marmarosa-Piano
CD/Album 	Best Of The Complete Savoy & Dial Studio Recordings
Record co./Cat # 	Savoy Jazz 17120
Release Year 	1946

10:25pm
Cachito
Artist Name 	David Murray Cuban Ensemble
Composer 	Consuelo Velázquez
Soloists 	David Murray-Tenor Sax
CD/Album 	Plays Nat King Cole En Espanol
Record co./Cat # 	Motema Music 73
Release Year 	2011

10:31pm
Evidence
Artist Name 	Eric Reed
Composer 	Thelonious Monk
Soloists 	Eric Reed-Piano
CD/Album 	The Baddest Monk
Record co./Cat # 	Savant 2118
Release Year 	2012
Note 	New

10:42pm
They Say That Falling In Love Is Wonderful
Artist Name 	Chick Corea, Eddie Gomez, Paul Motian
Composer 	Irving Berlin
Soloists 	Chick Corea-Piano ; Eddie Gomez-Bass ; Paul Motian-Drums
CD/Album 	Further Explorations
Record co./Cat # 	Concord Jazz 33364-02
Release Year 	2012
Note 	New

10:50pm
Some Other Spring
Artist Name 	Roy Haynes Quartet
Composer 	Ira Kitchings, Arthur Herzog
Soloists 	Roy Haynes-Drums ; Roland Kirk-Tenor Sax, Manzello, Stritch ; Henry Grimes-Bass ; Tommy Flanagan-Piano
CD/Album 	Out Of The Afternoon
Record co./Cat # 	Impulse! 180
Release Year 	1962

10:54pm