[JPL] trumpeter Lou Colombo, R.I.P.

Tom Reney tr at wfcr.org
Sun Mar 4 15:09:03 EST 2012

Sad news of the death of Lou Colombo in a car crash last night in Ft.
Myers, Florida.  Lou was a mainstay of the jazz scene between Cape Cod,
Providence, and Boston for over 50 years, admired by everyone from Louis
Armstrong and Bobby Hackett to Tony Bennett and Dizzy Gillespie.  I saw
him many times with Dave McKenna, Dick Johnson, Gray Sargent, and
others.  He played my sister Sue's wedding in 1984.  He always swung
hard and fostered good vibes.  With the deaths in the past three years
of McKenna at 78, Johnson at 85, and now Colombo at 84, a generation of
regional jazz greats has left us.  It's small consolation, but Lou spent
his last night playing music.

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120304/NEWS11/120309884

The Cape Cod Times obituary includes this excerpt from a 1988 interview
of Dizzy Gillespie by Eric Jackson of WGBH in Boston.

/"Lou Colombo is what I would call a trumpet painter, he resolves. He
starts playing and the notes keep going, but the chord keeps changing
all the time. He's a marvelous trumpet player./

/"I went one night to hear him play. Boy, he asked me to play with him
and I said 'No- you got it Brother. I'm not going to jump into that hot
water'. Lou's pretty weird the way he plays because he plays with just
one hand. He plays the valves with his right hand but doesn't hold the
horn with his left hand. This guy's amazing. I've been preaching his
name ever since that night I first heard him down on Cape Cod ."
/

Here's a link to his Concord Jazz release/I Remember Bobby/ which
featured McKenna and Sargent.
http://www.amazon.com/I-Remember-Bobby-Lou-Colombo/dp/B0000006J3

Lou never seemed more than a few feet away in the venues where I heard
him, but the only footage I can find of him is this clip shot from a
distance last year on the Cape.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0QFWEgYs00&feature=related
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0QFWEgYs00&feature=related>

Tom Reney