[JPL] Joe Brazil Project

stephengriggs at aol.com stephengriggs at aol.com
Mon Mar 5 11:07:38 EST 2012

I am researching the life and impact of jazz saxophonist Joe Brazil for an article in the April issue of Earshot Jazz and a book proposal for the University of California Press. I set up a web site at http://joebrazilproject.blogspot.com/ to collect and share information.

Joe hosted legendary jam sessions in Detroit, taught in Seattle schools, and appeared on records by John Coltrane and Roy Ayers.

I am in contact with Frances Brazil - Joe's first wife, Gary Hammon - Joe's saxophone student and the first African American to get a scholarship to the New England Conservatory, Jeffrey Winston - Joe's teaching assistant at the University of Washington, and Ray Baldwin - Joe's band manager at the Black Academy of Music. If you have any source material, please contact me off list at stephengriggs at aol.com.

-Steve Griggs
206-523-4983