[JPL] Playlist-Jazz with George Thomas on VPR with Carol Sloane, Irving Kahal for Monday, 03/05/12

George Thomas gthomas at vpr.net
Mon Mar 5 23:19:41 EST 2012

Jazz with George Thomas on VPR with Carol Sloane, Irving Kahal for Monday, 03/05/12

We celebrate the birthday of the Rhode Island-born vocalist Carol Sloane and the birthday of lyricist Irving Kahal, author of songs including: "I'll Be Seeing You," "You Brought A New Kind Of Love To Me," " When I Take My Sugar To Tea" and "I Can Dream Can't I."

Playlist

9:01pm
My Monday Date / Four Or Five Times
Artist Name 	Jimmie Noone featuring Earl Hines
Composer 	Earl Hines / Hellman, Guy
Soloists 	Jimmie Noone-Clarinet ; Earl Hines-Piano
CD/Album 	Apex Blues
Record co./Cat # 	GRP/Decca 633-2
Release Year 	1928

9:07pm
When I Take My Sugar To Tea
Artist Name 	Jeremy Davenport
Composer 	Sammy Fain, Irving Kahal
Soloists 	Jeremy Davenport-Vocals, Trumpet ; David Torkanowsky-Piano ; Roland Guerin-Bass ; Troy Davis-Drums
CD/Album 	We'll Dance 'Til Dawn
Record co./Cat # 	Basin Street Records 1101-2
Release Year 	2009
Note 	Birthday: Irving Kahal 3.5.1903

9:11pm
After You've Gone
Artist Name 	Aurora Nealand & The Royal Roses
Composer 	Harry Creamer, Turner Layton
Soloists 	Aurora Nealand-Soprano Sax, Vocals ; Tom McDermott-Piano
CD/Album 	A Tribute To Sidney Bechet
Record co./Cat # 	www.auroranealand.com
Release Year 	2011
Note 	New

9:17pm
Sweet Sue (Just You)
Artist Name 	Jimmie Noone featuring Earl Hines
Composer 	W. Harris, V. Young
Soloists 	Jimmie Noone-Clarinet ; Earl Hines-Piano
CD/Album 	Apex Blues
Record co./Cat # 	GRP/Decca 633-2
Release Year 	1928
Note 	Listener Request

9:23pm
Alll Blues
Artist Name 	Chano Dominguez
Composer 	Miles Davis
Soloists 	Chano Dominguez-Piano ; Mario Rossy-Bass
CD/Album 	Flamenco Sketches
Record co./Cat # 	Blue Note Records 79453 2
Release Year 	2012
Note 	New

9:29pm
Sonny's Crib
Artist Name 	Sonny Clark
Composer 	Sonny Clark
Soloists 	Donald Byrd-Trumpet ; Curtis Fuller-Trombone ; John Coltrane-Tenor Sax ; Sonny Clark-Piano
CD/Album 	Sonny's Crib
Record co./Cat # 	Blue Note Records 97367
Release Year 	1957

9:44pm
I Can't Help It
Artist Name 	Marianne Solivan
Composer 	Betty Carter
Soloists 	Marianne Solivan-Vocals ; Xavier Davis-Piano ; Ben Wolfe-Bass ; Jonathan Blake-Drums
CD/Album 	Prisoner Of Love
Record co./Cat # 	Hipnotic Records 10007
Release Year 	2012
Note 	New

9:49pm
Smada
Artist Name 	Terell Stafford
Composer 	Duke Ellington, Billy Strayhorn
Soloists 	Terell Stafford-Trumpet ; Tim Warefield-Tenor Sax ; Bruce Barth-Piano
CD/Album 	This Side Of Strayhorn
Record co./Cat # 	MaxJazz 408
Release Year 	2011

10:00pm
I'll Be Seeing You
Artist Name 	Sarah Vaughan
Composer 	Sammy Fain, Irving Kahal
Soloists 	Sarah Vaughan-Vocals ; Kirk Stuart-Piano
CD/Album 	Sassy Swings The Tivoli
Record co./Cat # 	Mercury 832 788-2
Release Year 	1963
Note 	Birthday: Irving Kahal 3.5.1903

10:05pm
Poinciana
Artist Name 	Clipper Anderson
Composer 	Nat Simon, Buddy Bernier
Soloists 	Clipper Anderson-Bass ; Darin Clendenin-Piano
CD/Album 	The Road Home
Record co./Cat # 	Origin Records 82605
Release Year 	2012
Note 	New

10:11pm
Freddie Freeloader
Artist Name 	Chano Dominguez
Composer 	Miles Davis
Soloists 	Chano Dominguez-Piano
CD/Album 	Flamenco Sketches
Record co./Cat # 	Blue Note Records 79453 2
Release Year 	2012
Note 	New

10:22pm
Lazy Afternoon / Blue Skies
Artist Name 	Sheila Jordan & Harvie S
Composer 	J. Moross, J. Latouche / I. Berlin
Soloists 	Sheila Jordan-Vocals ; Harvie S-Bass
CD/Album 	Yesterdays
Record co./Cat # 	HighNote 7234
Release Year 	1990
Note 	New

10:30pm
Nica's Dream
Artist Name 	Wes Montgomery
Composer 	Horace Silver
Soloists 	Wes Montgomery-Guitar
CD/Album 	Echoes Of Indiana Avenue
Record co./Cat # 	Resonance Records 2011
Release Year 	2012
Note 	New

10:35pm
Tippin'
Artist Name 	Claire Daly Quintet
Composer 	Steve Hudson
Soloists 	Claire Daly-Baritone Sax ; Steve Hudson-Piano
CD/Album 	Mary Joyce Project: Nothing To Lose
Record co./Cat # 	Daly Bread Records 51818
Release Year 	2011
Note 	New

10:42pm
You Brought A New Kind Of Love To Me
Artist Name 	Carol Sloane
Composer 	Sammy Fain, Irving Kahal
Soloists 	Carol Sloane-Vocals ; Norman Simmons-Piano
CD/Album 	Whisper Sweet
Record co./Cat # 	HighNote 7113
Release Year 	2003
Note 	Birthday: Carol Sloane 3.5.1937

10:48pm
Baby, Baby, All The Time
Artist Name 	Dave McKenna
Composer 	Bobby Troup
Soloists 	Dave McKenna-Piano
CD/Album 	My Friend The Piano
Record co./Cat # 	Concord Jazz 4313
Release Year 	1987

10:55pm
Why Don't You Do Right
Artist Name 	Carol Sloane
Composer 	Joe McCoy
Soloists 	Carol Sloane-Vocals ; Ken Peplowski-Clarinet ; Bucky Pizzarelli-Guitar
CD/Album 	We'll Meet Again
Record co./Cat # 	Arbors Jazz Records 19400
Release Year 	2009
Note 	Birthday: Carol Sloane 3.5.1937

Jazz In The Evening with George Thomas
Vermont Public Radio