[JPL] Fingerprinting

Louis Erlanger louisx at myfairpoint.net
Wed Mar 7 10:50:30 EST 2012

Fingerprinting is already in use.  One of the first companies to employ
a version of it was Broadcast Data Systems, and this was already at
least 15 years ago.   They built software that listened to the radio and
was able to identify specific songs automatically.   The software would
analyze portions of songs and keep that as a "fingerprint" to match
against airplay. When I worked in music publishing, the publishing
company licensed data from BDS to measure broadcasts in areas where a
songwriter/artist was on tour.  Many music companies license data from
SoundScan and BDS to track airplay and sales together.

There is software for smart phones called "SoundHound" that will
automatically identify any song that is played into your smart phone
microphone.